1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Professional discussion of coverage of the Virginia Tech shootings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Can't tell you how many times I covered a car wreck, shooting, whatever in the morning and then called the family a couple of hours later after I got the information from the coroner. I'd say someone talks 70 percent of the time. If you don't call the family's going to wonder why their son's, brother's, husband's death wasn't important enough for the newspaper. There's nothing inhumane about doing this job (added:) correctly.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

At what point do small-town law enforcement agencies become bogged down in interview requests? I know they have information officers and do pressers, but between them each network, paper, blog and radio station is trying to get exclusive info. How well-equipped are small police forces to do their ongoing jobs while being peppered with questions?

3. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

JD. . .

I wouldn't have a problem contacting a parent about the safety of a child. It is all about how you ask the question -- hoe much compassion you show, etc. -- that will depend on the result you get. If you bulldog it and show little sense of understanding what the family might be going through, you will probably not get very good results.

If you show sympathy and understanding, you'll probably be greeted well. If it sounds like a bad time, ask them if they mind you calling again in a couple of hours. Make the offer to have their children tell their stories.

On a seperate note -- and I am usually not this touchy on things -- but considering what has happened, it is a poor choice of words to use the phrase, "pull the trigger". I foiund myself in an earlier post rewriting a sentence because I saw that I had written that the media would kill to get scoop on this.

Thanks.

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

So our boy Wolf just reported the campus WAS on lockdown after the first shooting.

Just an FYI

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I know the calls have to be made. I have done them. My earlier post (in the wrong context, as it turned out) was about letting an appropriate amount of time pass if you're not on a tight deadline. Of course, nowadays that's all relative (no pun intended).

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Best advice for TV people is to report what you know. Don't editorialize. Just repeat the facts, especially considering people are switching channels or just tuning in for the first time.

Producers are key here. You can't leave your on-air people hanging. Get them guests, pictures anything. Once the on-air person's been sitting there for a minute or two without something to go to, that's when the trouble starts.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I hope this doesn't violate Johnny's intention for this thread, but I don't know where else to say this:

I really hope the coverage of this knocks the Imus inferno into proper perspective. There's news, and there's NEWS, and we cheapen the latter by piling onto the Anna-Nicoles and Crazed Astronauts as if they really merit our attention.

I rarely feel like I can't absorb any more news coverage, but I wonder if I'm alone in feeling so tired and overwhelmed by the current media cauldron.

8. In my experience, it depends on how small the department is. The little ones don't know how to take it and they just shut down ... maybe hand out a two sentence press release ... usually because the police chief insists on being the only contact and he will get tired of the calls.

The larger departments recognize the usefulness of press conferences and will usually ask that you rely on what you get there ... but obviously you don't. Preaching to the choir again: PCs are a good place to get the standard facts and they give television a chance to ask all their stupid questions but the key is to talk to as many investigators, deputies, officers, witnesses and victims as you can so that you have a good excuse to pull the sheriff aside and ask more questions based on what they told you.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Frankly, I hate watching on-the-scene TV interviews with victims' families. I recall a few months ago when the asshole reporter asked how it made mother feel that her son was gunned down on the way to school. Sure, there might be something that a family member adds to the story, but not much.

10. Honest question: Why do I keep reading these headlines that President Bush is "horrified" about the shootings? Is that really all he said? Did anyone see the press conference?

Add: Nevermind. He didn't even make a comment. It's his people saying that. Not sure why that's news.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

There's a lot of s * * * being thrown at walls right now on FOX and CNN. This is the time where there's a vacuum of new information and when it's the only story there's nothing but time to fill with inane questions of people who don't have any answers?

Was the shooter Asian? Did he kill himself or was he shot? What was his motive? What kind of gun was it? How many confirmed deaths?

12. John

John Well-Known Member

He was just on TV talking, apparently. But unless he has relevant information to pass along, who gives a shit what he has to say on the subject.

Draft saved Draft deleted