1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Professional discussion of coverage of the Virginia Tech shootings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 16, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The Fiesta Bowl was an amazing adrenaline rush, and there were no dead kids.

2. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

See, I'm the opposite. When these stories break, I get tempted to seek an exit from sports and into news. Different strokes.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In the scramble to the first shooting site, I can see where he'd be able to slip into another building and bide his time. Judging from the snow falling in the video, he could have easily tucked the pistols into his coat pockets (or backpack) and blended in.

4. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

17 have been admitted to Montgomery Regional Hospital, 4 in surgery. Sadly, the number of deaths could increase.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

MSNBC now saying gunman did kill himself.

6. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

That's unfortunate.

7. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

It doesn't matter. Nothing would bring anybody back. There's no satisfying closure here.

8. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Agree, but that's not my point, which is that he got off way too easy. Most of these crazy fuckers do. Very unfortunate.

9. I agree. News isn't for everyone. I've been doing it for years and there's just nothing like being in that situation where you're simultaneously dealing with the unknown, tragedy, deadlines and competition. It's a balancing act. As for crying, there's plenty of time to do that when it's over.

10. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

I guess what I'm saying is I couldn't care less what happens to the person, so long as he can't do any more damage. Retribution carries little satisfaction for me. Just a way for humans to impose order on a chaotic world.

11. We have several students for our area attending Va. Tech. We had a few parents call us to sat their kids at at the school and safe,
    We've had reporters on the phone (cell and land lines) with them most of the afternoon.

I found a listing of kids from our area at Tech through their Dean's List. Took about an hour and half to scroll through 66 pages.
    Then I typed the names in the Va. Tech search engine and got phone numbers .. both campus and parent numbers.

We have two kids who are freshman engineering students at Va. Tech. None of the reporters will pull the trigger and call them or their parents to find out what their status.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why won't they call?

Or, better yet, why are they being allowed not to call.

Draft saved Draft deleted