1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Professional discussion of coverage of the Virginia Tech shootings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Those of you who wish to discuss the topic without the ancillary feuding and hot-button issues can do so here.

Are you watching CNN? MSNBC? Fox? Reading Web sites?

Which?

Thoughts about the pros and cons and limitations of instant coverage in the instant-information-and-misinformation age?

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

At work, so I'm following here, or I was, at least, until fnords infiltrated that thread.

There were a lot of folks on different stations, reporting lots of stuff. I'm glad it was there; we seem to have more stuff here than any other one place.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm watching MSNBC. Death toll's up to 31, fmrsped.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

When I worked in Miami, there was a weekly newsroom-wide critique that went beyond the usual self-applause and pointed out what we learned the hard way from covering a type of story that might be useful to remember next time. I remember one was to be careful of using specific numbers in death tolls while it was still being sorted out -- say "at least 20 dead," not 23 dead. This is even more important in the Internet age. I see some Web sites hedging, others being prematurely specific.

5. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I've heard there's video from inside the classroom via cell phone or something? Is this true? And which news channel has it?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

CNN has phone video from just outside one of the buildings. You can hear shots and what sounds like an explosion (perhaps a shotgun blast or flash-bang grenade from a SWAT team).

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've seen cell video on MSNBC and CNN. Haven't seen any from inside the class room though.

8. Jeff_Albertson

Jeff_Albertson New Member

timesdispatch.com and roanoke.com both shut down my Internet browser. Made me wonder how news organizations suddenly deal with that kind of traffic. I haven't ventured back to either site for fear of being shut down again, but when the story first started breaking, both sites were down.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Richmond Times-Dispatch links to two videos:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/

10. Everything's on video these days.
    A nation of Zapruders.

11. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

MSNBC talking to a kid that was in the classroom. "Blood pretty much everywhere. Competely unreal."

The kid said the shooter came in, shot for about a minute, left and tried to get back in. This kid and another were on the floor holding the door closed with their feet. Kid said the shooter tried to shoot through the door to get back in, but failed and went away.

Wow.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't think that's a good thing either.

Draft saved Draft deleted