1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Profanity in quotes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Still trolling? You really don't get it.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Putting "common sense" in caps again and again doesn't somehow imbue the phrase with meaning.

What do you mean when you type "common sense" in relation to publishing profanity in quotes? Listen to your publisher? Listen to your editor? Listen to George Carlin? Listen to your heart?

What?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Drip seems to have the charming notion that COMMON SENSE and newspaper policy are one and the same.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Also a bestseller for Paine.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I recall Boise, which is about 120 miles from my old paper, using "pistol-whipped" as a verb in a high school football gamer headline. We cut it out and taped it to the wall. I liked it.

It helped inspire our editor to make a list of verbs forbidden in sports copy. We could not write that Team A destroyed, killed, maimed, gutted, etc. Team B. Basically, no violent verbs allowed. And we certainly could not use scalp when referring to the two sets of Indians in our area. Yep, someone did it years before in a huge lapse of common sense.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

It means use your damn brain for once and quit relying on others. Drip really shouldn't have to explain this. Truth is, he's right.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd love to go to a Drip-Doc seminar. The topic wouldn't matter.

"Use COMMON SENSE."

"Use your brain. Geez."

"See the cashier on your way out."

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

You might learn a thing or two Ace.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Actually, our version would be: "That (certainly stinks)."

Really. And that fucking sucks, too.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Most people who get into journalism are relatively intelligent, inquisitive and can form their own thoughts, ideas, opinions through sound logic and reasoning. It is with that understanding that we tell you to "Use your brain!"

If you're still not getting it, you might want to consider a career change soon.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Where you been, Doc? I've been considering a career change. Career change isn't considering me.

And I'm positive I'm pretty sure I've got it. I'm just not 100 percent what it is.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The "common sense" comment from the start was just not conducive to the overall conversation. If that's the way you respond to any particular question, then you're really not helping anyone do anything.

This topic, I think, was intended to create a conversation. Responding with "use common sense" is simplistic and contributes nothing to that conversation.

Do you guys get IT?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.