1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Profanity in quotes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

sorry, dude. i didn't intentionally duck your question. thought i pretty much covered it.
    we're not protecting anybody. we're simply acting at work as we would in public. i somehow doubt that you would walk into your favorite restaurant and say those words.
    and why can't fuck be like suck? christ, because it's not. that's like asking "why can't a dog be a cat?"
    i write fuck and cock sucker here because i know it's acceptable. it's not acceptable for me to go to the corner market, buy a pack of smokes and say "fuck you very much," after buying them. if i were buying them from you, i would say "fuck you very much."
    WTF is the difference between knowing the audience you're writing to and knowing your overall audience? a majority of your audience believes there is a difference between fuck and suck, and it could give two fucking shits what you believe. if you have a problem with that, there's always the alt weeklies, which, btw, have audiences that don't see a difference between fuck and suck.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

TP. he's not worth it. He and a few other frat boys post stupid stuff thinking its cool to create problems on the threads. He knows good damn well what you are talking about it. Don't go down Idiot Lane with him. You're better than that.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Damn, Drip, you beat me to it. As I was going to say, I beleive Versatile is simply trying to needle you, perhaps prod an argument along here even when he knows the answer.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Doc, he along with a few others such as Riptide and Yankeefan, yes I'm calling them out, do this crap EVERY DAY. It's frat boy mentality and it causes problems. I know this is how they communicate but, damn, enough is enough. It's one reason why many posters don't post any longer.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yeah, Tom Petty. I am nothing but a troll.

Obviously I understand the lines society has drawn. But I find them arbitrary and unnecessary.

At this point, so is this thread. Long live "common sense."

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

What you should find arbitrary and unnecessary is your every day frat boy nonsense. Give it a break. It's really played out. And that's when common sense should really kick in.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

vers - of course you find them to be arbitrary and unnecessary ... hell, look who you're pointing that out to. but the point still stands that we live in a society that doesn't feel the same way as you EDIT - AND I, and they are the folks who buy our papers.

and yes, i've had this conversation with many folks, usually quite a bit younger than i, who are rather compassionate about this topic. but it still doesn't change the paradigm of the world in which we live.

i've had many young writers get all butt hurt when i've edited their copy -- directly related to this topic -- especially knowing who i am on my own time. but the fact remains: we show up everyday to sell papers, period, not to knock down societal values.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

it's all good, dawg. it's all good.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I'm really enjoying this thread. Sure hope it doesn't get locked.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Drip, you're the biggest joke on the board.
    You make it easy to bat you around. You're catnip.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Sure. You can be Pinto.
    Can you make a grocery run?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.