1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prof. To JuCo V-Ball Player: "You Play, You Fail"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Nov 21, 2013.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Team got crushed in first round. One more loss and they're done anyway.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Another power-tripping academic throwing down rules because he (or she) can, more worried about whether the student parks ass in the lecture hall than whether they learned the course material.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's a "she" actually ...

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

If she is on scholarship, it's not as if she just "decides" to go play volleyball or not. The school makes the schedule. The players go.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would very seriously doubt that the "scholarship" thing is true. We are talking about junior college -- and not just junior college, but Division II junior college.

6. Starman

If the player was on scholarship and that scholarship ended up being revoked due to her following academic requirements imposed by instructors, I would bet she would have some recourse against the school.

Although it's probably moot since she does not plan to return anyway.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The DII JUCO down the road from me hands out solid scholarships. They are nationally competitive in both basketball programs and baseball. The funnel players regularly to large schools. The school's athletes are under the same obligation as any NCAA DI sports factory.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I ran cross country and track at Division I juco and was on a full scholarship. That's a big reason I went there out of high school instead of an NCAA Division II, where the partial scholarship available for me would have been a few hundred bucks a semester.

My teachers didn't have an issue with missing classes for meets as long as we made up the work. With large, full rosters for football, track, baseball and softball, plus smaller rosters for basketball and volleyball a pretty high percentage of the full-time students were athletes. There were hardly any classes that didn't have at least one athlete in it and the professors had no problems working with them.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wow. Learn something new every day. Today I learned just how fucked up our higher education system is with sports and scholarships.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like the school had much issue with the teacher.

10. Starman

They better quit scheduling athletic contests that conflict (ever) with classes, then.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Division II schools can give out scholarships, but Division III can't, just like the NCAA. But while the scholarship limits differ between Division I and Division II, there's almost no distinction in the level of competition, at least in Kansas. In the Kansas Jayhawk Conference, schools can pick which division they want to be in and do so by sport. And the defending Eastern Division women's basketball champion is a Division II school (Johnson County).

This year, partly to make scheduling less complicated but probably partially because the Division I schools don't like losing their division to a D-II school, the four D-II schools were aligned into their own division (basketball only as the number of D-I and D-II schools vary by sport).

12. Starman

Eligibility rulings don't come in until after the marking period is over, right?

Therefore if she plays, the instructor can flunk her in the class but it has no effect on her eligibility until next semester. Next fall, actually, since volleyball plays in the fall.

So, play in the game, tell the instructor to fuck off, take the 0.0 in the class, then retake the equivalent class next semester (spring) at whatever school you end up. Pass the class in the spring and your eligibility should be back in order by the time fall term opens.

Draft saved Draft deleted