1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Product marketing that sucked you in

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

The thread on extravagant items got me thinking about things I buy because the people who market it found a way to get their hooks in me.

I have two: Edge shaving cream and Degree deodorant.

For more than 20 years, thats all I've ever bought. I know the formulations have changed and I've rolled with different scents and stuff, but I only buy those brands.

Why? Because when I was a freshman in college, they were in these giveaway bags that got shoved into your bookstore bags every time you bought something. I probably had a half-dozen of each, and I used them till they were gone.

Then, I bought more. And more. For 20 years. All because some marketing plan called for giving the stuff away to college kids.

2. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I remember getting a free Mach 3 starter kit in the mail shortly after I turned 18. I used Mach3 almost exclusively until I discovered the cheap CVS knockoff of the Gillette fusion.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ditto on the shave kit. I exclusively use Gilette shave gel because they mailed me a sample when I turned 16 or 18 and it felt smoother than the Barbasol I had been using. Still use it to this day and the razors to go with it. I clung to me Sensor Excel two-blade razor close to two decades, but I've found the refills harder to come by and finally switched to the Mach 3 last month.

I am, however, considering trying out a straight razor. My barber gives me a straight blade shave and it's incredible. Would love to be able to replicate it at home.

4. My friend - now deceased - in the golf business swore by this maxim: get kids hooked a product they are hooked for life. Loyal to the end.
    He ran a junior golf tour and touted Calloway, Hogan balls and equipment. Kids from age 8-18.

The same is true with beer and other things... Hook kids, young adults to a brand and they stick with it. That's why so many ads are aimed at younger audiences.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

The Dyson fan advertising made me think it would be great. Looked cool, no blades to get all dirty - but the ads don't reveal how freaking loud the thing is. I returned it the next day. I like a breeze but I don't want to have to blast my TV just to hear it over the engine.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Huh. That's good to know.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

For the price of those Dysons I could hire a coolie to fan me all day

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I refuse to eat Jif because I hate choosy moms.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I thought it would be loud. Sort of like their hand driers.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really like after-shave balm. The cheap stuff - Afta or Gillette - I've tried more expensive kinds, but the only time someone commented that I smelled nice (there were numerous times) was when I was wearing the cheap stuff.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I hear Freqposter eats choosy moms who buy Jif in the supermarket.
    Yin and yang, and all that.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Handing out free razors to college students or at sporting events is no different than drug dealers handing out free samples on the playground. The cost of the handle is an incredibly cheap way to get you coming back to buy the blades.

I don't know if it's marketing that sucked me in, but I am usually pretty loyal in supporting the sponsors of sports teams I like.

Draft saved Draft deleted