1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Producers Guild Best Picture nominees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 3, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is the best movie I've seen this year, with Drive probably being a close second. Normally, I'd be shocked to see Apes get a nomination, but with as many as 10 slots available, I could see it getting nominated. Wouldn't be a serious contender, though.

I think Drive might get nominated.

Oh, and Bridesmaids wasn't the best comedy I saw in a month (Horrible Bosses was 10x funnier), much less a best picture nominee.

Surprisingly, I've only seen one of the movies nominated by the Producers Guild. Hopefully, I'll have seen a few more of the Oscar noms.

This doesn't seem to have been a strong year for movies. Granted, a lot of the smaller more serious Oscar contenders I tend see on DVD and save my $10 for movies that demand a big-screen experience, but even the movies I've rented this year the overwhelming feeling I've come away with has been, "That was pretty good." I haven't been blown away by anything except maybe Apes.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought Win Win was better than the Descendants. Maybe it just came out too early. Most of the 10 best this year wouldn't make another year's list and I don't think there would be many complaints.

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Girl With a Dragon Tattoo was very interesting. Has the "feel" of a Best Picture nominee.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You know, I think you might be right. And I liked "The Descendants" a lot. But "Win Win" was really outstanding. I'm shocked it never got any Oscar juice at all, particularly with Amy Ryan and Paul Giamatti. Perhaps it'll shock some people still?

I love McCarthy's prior movie, "The Station Agent," as well.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, that's one I can comment on, having seen both. Three people here right now, in fact, and all are wondering what versions of Horrible Bosses and Bridesmaids you could have seen.

6. Dick Whitman

I thought "Bridesmaids" was way, way better than "Horrible Bosses."

And both are worlds better than the abomination known as "The Change-Up," which should get some Razzie consideration this year.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yeah, I'd put Bridesmaids way ahead of Horrible Bosses.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You, sir, are out of order. This entire thread is out of order ...

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Another reason you're having problems with the ladies.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Bridesmaids just wasn't funny. It was actually almost depressing. I just felt too bad for Kristen Wiig's character to laugh at what was happening to her.

Motherfucker Jones' name was funnier than anything in Bridesmaids.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

What a year of average, uninteresting filmmaking. At least in the USA.

12. Dick Whitman

I forgot about "Motherfucker Jones."

Yeah, that was pretty damned funny.

And probably the funniest line of the year for me in any movie was, "You know that movie, 'Snow Falling on Cedars'?"

I guess "Horrible Bosses" might have been better than I remembered it.

Draft saved Draft deleted