1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Producers Guild Best Picture nominees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Midnight in Paris" has been on DirecTV pay-per-view for a while. I'm surprised it's being disparaged here to this degree. I liked it a lot, and I am a pretty tough critic.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's not top-shelf Woody (that ship sailed, long ago), but it's a great marriage of director and idea, and given what we've gotten from Allen over the past couple of decades, was delighted to see him make it, delighted to see it, and will be a DVD owner, soon enough.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Going off on a tangent, I know, but the next time I buy a DVD of a movie will be the first time. A season of a TV series, I can see. But if I were to buy the DVD of "Animal House" -- the most likely movie I'd watch repeatedly -- I'd never get my money's worth.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

There are 10 Best Picture Oscar nominations now.

I've seen The Descendants, Midnight in Paris, Dragon Tattoo, Moneyball, Hugo, Ides of March and really, none of them seemed like Best Picture material. I enjoyed them (Tattoo least of all), but none struck me as hugely memorable.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

"The Help" struck me as award-winning material on several counts.

And likewise with "Bridesmaids" if award voters weren't so hoidy-toidy.

6. Dick Whitman

I know. That's what I meant.

7. Dick Whitman

They are so "hoidy-toidy" that they nominated "The Blind Side," a pandering abomination.

You should watch better movies, and then the movies you watch will get nominated.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Actually, now there are 5-10, depending on how many votes each garners. They have to get at least 5%, I believe.

9. Dick Whitman

Yes, that's actually correct. Not that you needed me to tell you that. But there can be "as many as" would be what I should have said.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Either way, yeah, there are now more chances for movies to get in that wouldn't have gotten in before. However, that still doesn't make atrocious movies like The Blind Side acceptable.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yep...days later, I still find myself thinking about it. I think what I liked most about it is that I kept fulling expecting it to go in a direction that it just never did.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Oops, I see that now. Sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted