1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Producer - SI.com (Atlanta)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hr_reception, Mar 30, 2010.

1. hr_reception

hr_reception New Member

Job Description:

The online producer monitors sports wires, selects and edits stories, selects and posts photos, and manages individual sports sections on SI.com, one of the world's leading sports Web sites. Duties include copy editing original content and writing headlines for both stories and section fronts, as well as writing captions for photos. Managing sports sections involves selecting stories, writing teases for featured content, and assisting the site producer in coordinating news coverage on SI.com's front page. Writing original content is also possible, although not required. In addition to solid editing and writing skills, the ideal applicant will have a broad knowledge of sports, strong news judgment and the organizational skills to multi-task. Experience in HTML and Photoshop is a plus. This is a FULL-TIME, NIGHT-SHIFT and WEEKEND position with full benefits.

Please apply using the following link.

http://jobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_home.asp?partnerid=391&siteid=5161&Codes=NXXX,117266BR

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

How much of their operations is still in Atlanta? I'd thought they moved almost everything to NYC.

3. chicos_bailbonds

chicos_bailbonds New Member

NYC handles the dayside duties of SI.com -- Atlanta handles nights and weekends

4. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Here's hoping ... they have my information, now let's see what happens.

5. chicos_bailbonds

chicos_bailbonds New Member

It's weird to see so few posts for this job (compared to views); and yet, a Sp-Ed opening in Arkansas elicits a greater reaction.

6. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Very few qualified. How many folks do you know with a video and photography background, skilled at writing and editing at a metro level? The online component is far more technical than most metro editors can handle, too, unless that is their skill set, online producer.
    Those who work at metros are good at one, maybe two of those things, but the writing and editing folks are rarely if ever equipped to handle photoshop.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know of two who qualify but don't know if they're interested in the gig.

8. dmtt61d

dmtt61d New Member

I feel like I should point out, nowhere in the post does it say anything about needing a video background. I don't think the word video is even mentioned. And in terms of a photo background, I'm relatively certain it's not asking for anything more than someone who can crop photos in photoshop, which is a skill that can be picked up in a matter of minutes (and obviously refined a bit over time). I've spent the past several years in a similar gig elsewhere, and knowing a little bit about SI's web operation, I'd say that as long as you have a strong editorial background I wouldn't let concerns over photo/video skills stand in the way of applying.

9. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

This is the first time in my life I've actually seen a job posting from SI. I always thought they just called whatever writer they wanted to come aboard.

10. MizzouBrave

MizzouBrave New Member

This isn't a writing gig. A producer, as the title suggests, is more of an online copy editor.

Spent the last year and a half doing (basically) this for another company, except I had more writing duties. Hope this pans out.

11. DCguy

DCguy Member

From what I gather, a lot of their producers write for the site. And the posting does say, "Writing original content is also possible."

12. MizzouBrave

MizzouBrave New Member

Right, I was responding to the poster who said he thought SI just contacts writers they want to hire. I was just clarifying that this isn't a pure "writing" job.

Draft saved Draft deleted