1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Producer-Golf.com- New York, NY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Ali DeBiasi, Apr 24, 2008.

?

Job Opening

Poll closed May 24, 2008.
  1. Applied

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Did not apply

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, sorry about that.

I thought he had just applied.

He has posted and PMed things of that nature in the past and it was annoying then so I jumped his guns.

Anyway, if you interview and don't get the job you better get a call - that I agree with.

If you apply and don't get a call, well, welcome to most of our worlds.

2. spud

spud Member

I went through an initial phone interview at this shop and was informed there is absolutely no writing involved, contrary to the job ad.

3. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

I had a phone interview with a hiring rep and she asked if I could send clips and come to NYC. I was already planning to travel to DC, so I figured I could just swing up to NYC after DC. I got to the offices in NYC, and the hiring manager said, "You didn't have to come in."

She then asked me about my experience. I started talking about all the writing and editing I've done and she cut me off. There will be very little editing and no writing, she said. So the entire job ad seems a little skewed. They really just want an HTML wonk who likes golf. Editorial judgment is not a necessity.

Open the flood gates.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you're right, I'd call that ad more than just skewed. That's awful.

5. bigtimmy

bigtimmy New Member

I got exactly that sense when I interviewed with them. They only wanted to know about my HTML and web editing experience and wanted to know how big of a golf fan I was. I was equally disappointed when I saw where it was going.

6. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

I went into the interview with an offer from somewhere else, but I had thought this one could be better for me. It took all of 10 minutes to realize that I would take the other.

I've never committed a crime or anything, so meeting with their HR manager was the first time I've ever been interrogated. I'm glad I didn't stick around, waterboarding was next.

Needless to say I've never left an interview feeling more emasculated, embarrassed or worthless.

7. spud

spud Member

Funny. When I got off the phone I was left with the same sense.

"So, uh, tell me... is there anything you can do?"

"Well, I guess... I guess I can write okay."

"Why the hell would I care about writing? Didn't you read the job ad?"

"Apparently not."

8. thedudeabides

thedudeabides New Member

I interviewed twice for this one as well. I felt the same way after the first one...like they made me feel like I didn't know the first thing about anything, so I never expected to hear from them again. But about 5 weeks later I got another call and went up for the 2nd interview, which I thought went fantastic...I made the rounds and met everyone, all that jazz. Then they said they would be in touch but never got back to me. So I e-mailed the executive editor (who was my contact) asking what was up, and he got back to me saying they were going to go with someone with "more golf experience."

Of course I understood the job called for that, and while I'm a fan of the sport, I haven't played in several years. I was up front with them about that from the start and they still brought me back for a second interview, so I thought the reasoning for not hiring me was kinda bogus. I had done similar work for more respected organizations involving sports I didn't follow too much (golf, NASCAR, cycling, etc.) and it never got in the way of me doing my job, so I was kind of upset at how these folks handled things.

9. Meggs

Meggs New Member

i jumped into the interview process late, only hearing about it because i'm a golfer who happens to be looking for a journalism job, not vice versa. i thought it was writing at first - its not at all - but i am pursuing because its a good job for a good company when i can't get a job otherwise.

i've done the phone interviews, the edits and so forth. i've had two in-person interviews postponed because the right people are "on vacation." as of now, they told me to wait until after the fedex playoffs and ryder cup are over to interview again, because nobody's getting hired before then and its busy season. the reason for the hiring delay is that my contact's superiors haven't agreed to introduce the salary into the budget - so it seems like even they are struggling a bit.

when i pressed for a timetable, i was told not to expect to start before the beginning of next golf season, which is jan. 1, 2009. salary i've been told is in the 50K ballpark, and the offices are located on 6th and 50th in NYC (half a block from rockefeller center). just so everyone knows

10. thedudeabides

thedudeabides New Member

Wow, I can't believe they still haven't filled this position yet. I first found the opening back in mid-late April.

I think you're shooting a little high on that salary...they came out and told me it would be more in the 35k range but maybe closer to 40...still, you'd have a tough time living in NYC on what the job pays.

11. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I know that initially they wanted to try to get someone started before the PGA Championship. And there was an editing test involved when I interviewed. So that would seem to indicate that the job requires more than just html skills. Nonetheless, it is very strange how this thing seems to be ever-changing and never filling up.

12. Everybody's got a price for the Million-Dollar Sports Writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted