1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Processing jpeg photos

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This summer I've received more courtesy photos than ever. Usually, I'm able to publish them, but it seems like more and more frequently, when I try to open the jpeg file to process it in Photo Editor, I'm unable to open the file and see a message that says "image too large (too many bytes)."
    It used to be I'd get one of those every once in a while, but this summer, I've had at least one such photo each week. I replied to one person, asking them to send me a smaller photo. They didn't know what to do and I didn't either.
    Is this happening more often because the computers we have at work aren't new enough, because I don't know what I'm doing or because the people sending these photos don't know what they're doing?
    Also, when a reader submits something in an attachment you can't open (and yes, I do have a written policy in the paper each week about what kind of attachments we can accept. With jpegs, the problem is usually the opposite, the images are too small), to what length should you be willing to go to make sure what they sent you gets in the paper?

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

SP: Can you get your hands on a copy of Photoshop? I don't have problems opening jpegs that are either very small or very large.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Don't leave the JPEGs in the fixer so long when processing. It'll ruin them.

4. Smallpotatoes

We've always used Photo Editor.

5. Smallpotatoes

I'll have to check with our computer people. I'm not allowed to add any programs on my computer without authorization.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

To echo the masses: Use photoshop. It will improve your image-handling life tenfold.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Are you talking about this program? http://pho.to/editor/

If so: ¡Ai yi yi!

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Yeah, there are plenty of options out there, but tech guys usually get uptight about any open source freeware for some reason. You're probably screwed.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sounds like you could use another program: ResumeMaker.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I use Irfanviewfor the simple stuff, like opening files, cropping, saving in different formats; I think it works for just about everything, and it is freeware. For some of the more advanced editing effects, you probably need Photoshop though.

11. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I know this is a little late, but I wanted to offer up the online editor at https://www.photoshop.com/

It's not perfect, but it's workable, and wouldn't require you to install anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted