1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems from eating sushi rice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mahoney, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

Mrs. Mahoney and I had sushi tonight. She now feels awful - her stomach feels like it's inflated to the size of a beach ball. This has been a recurring theme for her the last few times we've done that (at different restaurants), and there seems to be nothing online about the issue. In fact, most stuff dealing with rice and stomach issues suggests it's what people should eat as it produces little gas.

Has anyone on the board experienced anything like this? She really likes sushi, but has come to the conclusion she's going to have to stop eating it unless we can figure out what the problem is. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Has she been eating the same kinds of sushi at these different places? Does she have any food allergies? I'd rule that and a negative reaction to wasabi out before swearing off sushi.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't imagine that it's the rice causing the problem.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is she just ordering inari?

5. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

It's definitely not wasabi - we specifically had her not use it once to see if that was the issue. I can't say for sure that there's nothing else common from every meal, but rice from different rolls seems to be the only shared thread. (She eats cucumbers all the time in salad, so it's definitely not that.)

Not the most delightful topic to be sure, but I've seen lots of odd queries get answered here over the years so I figured it was worth taking a shot to see if anyone had experience with this.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Sushi rice is a very sticky rice. It's entirely possible that your wife could be sensitive to it.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It could be the seaweed. Or the way it is prepared.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Next time take her to Wendy's for a Baconator. I'm sure she'll feel fine :)

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Um, could it be the fish? particularly if it's a sushi roll or nigiri made with shellfish?

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Stop by the sushi joint. Pick up some inari and bring it home.
    See how she reacts.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My girl has a very severe reaction to shellfish, so we have to make doubly sure that they understand NO crab or lobster. The doctors can do a simple test to see if she is allergic.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Also, sushi rice is cooked with rice wine vinegar.
    Can somebody be allergic to a vinegar without being allergic to what the vinegar's made from?
    Is that possible?

Has she ever had a reaction to rice under and other circumstances?

Draft saved Draft deleted