1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've seen a couple of the Patch sites and I felt really embarrassed for the people who work there. I guarantee you they're busting their asses to put out a D+ product.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And if you do your job well, they will notice that, too. It's not like there aren't good Patch sites out there, too. It's kind of a mixed bag.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Little birdie tells me that some of the Patch sites outside D.C., in Maryland, are taking a Bunyon-sized ax to their stringer budgets, and these are sites that've started up in the past three months.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is that bad? :D

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Are they still invited to the big party? If so, it's not bad.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Whenever I have to buy friends of mine beer -- i.e whenever they stop making money -- yes, it is bad.

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

My local Patch outlets have cut their freelance fees, but they seem to be using as many stringers as ever.

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Really? I recall in my area they offered really nice rates. That is too bad for all those freelancers.

9. nate41

nate41 Member

They cut it a bit in my area, but it's still halfway decent for a couple hours of work.

10. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Heard the sites in my area have eliminated some positions. Don't know any details other than the fact that it happened. Beginning of the end? Feels a little too soon for the bottom to drop out, but wouldn't surprise me.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

What positions are there to eliminate? Regional managers? I haven't heard of them pulling out of any towns yet, though I don't know what happens if a local editor quits or gets fired - hasn't happened out my way yet.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I think there are some editors who, at least temporarily, are doubling up on towns. I could be wrong on this, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted