1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Re: Problems at Patches.com

Contradiction in terms.

(Sorry, Ragu)

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Would they at least play Strokin'?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think most of the people who took that deal thought, and rightfully so, that it was likely a better option than nothing or freelancing for as long as it lasts. I would hope nobody was foolish enough to leave a stable job for it, but even then, what job in journalism really is stable?

Seems a bit early to kick the dirt on it, but I can understand where that thinking comes from.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

We had a couple people leave stable gigs at our shop for Patch. If Patch fails, there's no room for them to come back.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you're working for Patch, have an escape plan ready to go. Newspapers have more stability.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Neither has any stability. At least at Patch they'll get to work from home for the next few months.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

In theory, Patch sounds like a great idea. Cover the most local of local news, the stuff that's being ignored as the existing daily or weekly in the area cuts back. I look at my own community's Patch site with some frequency.

The problem is, in practice, it's spending a lot to get a little. Traffic is never going to get to insane levels because you'll always be serving a niche. And because of hyperlocal, you may not be able to get advertisers to buy across sites, and certainly not on a national level. And there appears to be little promotion budget to let people know the Patch sites even exist. Heck, even if a lot of people know, you're talking, at best, probably getting 10-20% of the Internet users in your particular town to look at it every month, which isn't a lot.

8. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

To me, the biggest problem with Patch is that it's not marketed well enough. I did some freelance work for Patch for a little bit, and whatever sporting event I went to, there wasn't a single person who actually knew what it was. Go look on AOL's website, you would think they would have some advertisement. Nope. You have to actually market your product.

9. Journalist21

Journalist21 Member

I wonder if Patch would be more successful on a broader level. At the current level, you're only going to get the handful people who are steadfast town residents along with the occasional person. For example, the commenters are the same people all of the time. There isn't much of a draw, especially given that most people think you're trying to trick them by saying you work for Patch.

With that being said, I hope Patch is able to continue. It's nice to get local news on a day-by-day basis with town government and sports events. On the current business plan, however, I doubt it'll be around in a couple of years.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No. Patch sucks, and the only reason it saw the light of day is that the egomaniac who thought of it had the money to fund it himself. If it were broader, it would then be nothing but a poor imitation of the local newspaper's Web site.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The problem, as always, is not finding eyes. It's finding advertisers to pay for those eyes at levels that can pay for full-time staff.

12. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

We had a few people leave for Patch.

None of the people who left would likely be rehired at our place.

If you are a Patch editor operating a lousy, mistake filled site, the community daily down the road is going to notice. And you're not going to get hired by them.

Draft saved Draft deleted