1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just heard from a Patch regional editor, who said he had to cut back from 2 to 1 copy editor but the workload would increase. I had a feeling that Patch could not sustain its current spending.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Re: Problems at Patches.com

The woman on the other thread said Patch was going strong and couldn't be stopped.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Patches.com, I'm depending on you son. To pull the family through. My son, it's all left up to you.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

BIG problems for Patches (and Pockets):

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Didn't know they had copy editors. Thought it was just the regional editor supervising the towns' local editors. What market is this?

6. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

I had the same assumption. If they've got copy editors in my area, there's a lot of stuff that's just getting rubber stamped and published without any questions being asked.

As others have said on other threads, it's hit-and-miss with Patch. Some editors know what they're doing. Others fill their town's site with a bunch of nonsense,and you can see where those sites get propped up by other editors in adjacent areas that are close enough for the content to be shared.

At my place, we've felt like the whole thing is a house of cards, and it's only a matter of time before it collapses. And I'm not going to sit here and say we corner the market on journalistic excellence either. But there's a standard things have to meet to get on our website or in our paper, and I don't see that same standard with Patch content.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think there is a lesson to be learned by us on here. I saw a lot of patch gigs, saw the $40k salary, iPhone and laptop and thought it would be a great opportunity. Almost too good to be true. But as we all know, if it is too good to be true, it probably is. And there's a reason patch.com won't be able to pay 40k, and give out iPhones like candy and survive. It's the same reason newspapers cant do it. Advertisers and readers are stretched too thin. Can't corner the market.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Can't copy and paste it with my phone, but Big Ragu's post FTW. Well done.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

AOL can't just keep pumping money into Patch. How long did it estimate it would take before it would be profitable?

BTW, is the Seattle P-I making money?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So when you get laid off, do you have to give back the iPhone and laptop?

11. nmsports

nmsports Member

Late I know, but good God, Ragu. Other than outing your generation, that was classic.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Patch.com won't make it thru 2012. Won't even come close.

Draft saved Draft deleted