1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Probably the wrong board(sorry)...Need some advice from you!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by diesel27, Apr 23, 2007.

1. diesel27

diesel27 Guest

Sorry folks,

I know this is probably the wrong board to put this on, but I'm obviously a new registree to the site (which is tremendous I might add), although I have followed the site for a while now, but didn't know where to throw this topic at.

I just wanted to ask for a little advice from you fellow sportswriters. I got out of the sportswriting field in 2003, and jumped to the financial industry to make the quick bucks, and more of them. I have, and have now come to regret it dearly. While my passion for sportswriting, and writing in general haven't ceased, I have been out of the sportswriting field for a bit, obviously. I have operated a small time blog, and also have my BA in Journalism as well.

I was just hoping for some advice to possibly get back into the sportwriting business, as this business I'm in, although very lucrative, doesn't bring happiness. Anything you can throw my way would be much appreciated, whether it be getting my name out there, applying for jobs until blue in the face, etc... While I don't think I'm a dinosaur being out of the game for 3+ years, I know that my resume has likely been overlooked a lot because I've been out of it for a while, which is obvious on my resume. I've considered going back to get my Master's degree for one, which couldn't hurt whatsoever, but am reluctant just yet, as the timing isn't right with a newborn son 7 weeks ago.

Moderators, again sorry for the (probably) wrong board to put this on. Again, anything is greatly appreciated. I look foward to the arduous process of getting back in the field I love. Also feel free to PM with any thoughts.

Thanks again,

Diesel

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I would begin by looking for freelance work, something you can do occasionally in addition to your regular job. From there you can start building your clip collection back up again, plus have some recent references at whatever paper you work for.

If you live in a major league or college town, you can also look into stringing for out of town papers when their teams come to your town. I did work for numerous other papers in addition to the one I currently work for and still freelance occasionally. You might be able to use these links if positions come open at those places you freelance for, since you already have a relationship with them.

Good luck getting back in.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

GB Hack's advice is great. Contact the local paper and see if you can string for them -- high school games, college games, minor league games for the out of town teams, etc. Just write what you can to build your clip file back up.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

Agree with GB and Estreet. Oftentimes, ads will ask for "recent," clips. Three year old clips don't qualify as recent. Find somewhere to work as a correspondent. Hope you get back into the biz.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Diesel, I was out for 14 years and someone gave me a shot to get back in. It's never too late.

6. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

Good luck with that $22k per year. Don't spend it all in one place.

7. diesel27

diesel27 Guest

Thanks for the advice guys. It's really appreciated.

Like I said, I've been on the other side of the spectrum, making good coin. Sure it's nice, but it doesn't always equal happiness. Mr. Loaf, I appreciate your concern about my financial well-being. It's really not a money issue for me. It's about getting back into something I'm passionate about.

Diesel

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree with the above sentiment when it comes to latching on as a stringer. Perhaps a local community paper might give you an opportunity to do some freelance work.

I had been out of the journalism business for five years when I got the job I'm in now, so it is possible. Granted, I don't get a whole lot of salary, but I love the work I do.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Hurry. Go back to the financial industry.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Here is what you could do: Spend another year in the financial industry, keep writing your blog, but try to live off of what you would make as a sports writer. Put everything else in savings. That way, you'll have one last reminder of how poorly you'll be paid and the kind of sacrifices you'll make financially. If you still want to go into again, you'll have a nice little cushion the first year if you're being paid in peanuts. And I literally mean peanuts, since that and walnuts (but not cashews! That's too expensive!) may be all you're offered, if you can find a job.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Move to Roswell or Farmington, N.M; Martinsville, Va., or any one of several places on the jobs board that regularly have openings.

You're hired!

Draft saved Draft deleted