1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Probably the most unsettling, racist thing I have seen in a long time.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 5, 2020.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Can't we all just get along?

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And Bubba the Lawyer thought it would get his friends off the hook. What planet do these people live on?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The addresses of both dad and son murderer have been doxxed all over the internet. Justice may indeed get some shots.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I saw a report last week that said at one point the chase reversed course, and that was after the pickup pulled up alongside Arbery and they said something like, "Hey, hold up. We wanna talk to you."

So then, going the other way, they drove well past him and set up the roadblock.

5. Slacker

They're easy enough to trace. I found Arbery's house, too.

It's a few miles away. Maybe he was running a distance circuit. But ... it does leave a little room for argument.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Was his car found close to the scene of the execution? If not, we'd have to believe somebody dropped him off several miles from home so he could loot and pillage and run all the way back. Not likely.

7. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't care if he had a 50-inch flat screen TV in his hands while he was running.

You don't get to accost a guy with weapons, shoot him, and then walk free. If it's not outright murder, it's manslaughter and they both need to go to jail.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Seemed pretty premeditated to me.

Liut likes this.
  9. Slacker

Yeah, good point. But you could argue that, say, he was jogging through that day to case the site for later.

I'm not making that accusation. I'm pointing out a path them good ol' boys and their lawyers might surely take.

Regardless, I'm on the side of those who say it was racist vigilante murder. And Arbery's side gets to claim self-defense. He was trapped, and trying to get that gun pointed away from him.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It's this guy's first post in nearly two years. He appears to be a one-trick pony: Cops are always justified in shooting people.

I still can't bring myself to watch the video. That refusal renders me unqualified to assess the opinions in the post.
    There are still questions that I or anyone can ask without seeing the video:
    1) Why did these people feel compelled to go back into a house and retrieve a gun and chase down someone who had not committed a violent crime? The retrieval of the gun precedes the video.
    2) Once they started chasing the guy and they knew he was aware of their pursuit, shouldn't they have assumed he was unarmed when he kept running without pulling out a weapon? If so, why were they justified in approaching him?
    3) As with many laws in every canon known to man, the language of the citizens arrest law is vague at best. Is there a consensus on whether the law requires the vigilante to have probable cause to believe that the offense is a felony?

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  12. Slacker

Sorry but “a black man always has cause to fear for his life in white neighborhoods” might have held water in the 1960s but it doesn’t today.

OK whitey.

Draft saved Draft deleted