1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro wrestling legend Verne Gagne suspect in man's death

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Ruled a homicide.

http://www.startribune.com/local/40285987.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUac8HEaDiaMDCinchO7DU

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Memphis was Continental Wrestling Association until the mid-1980s. Didn't affiliate with the AWA until 1986 and even then it was loose. Those two groups tried to form an anti-McMahon alliance with Jim Crockett and the Von Erichs in '87 or thereabouts but the whole thing fell apart rather quickly.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I guess this proves that IT WAS A CHOKE and not a sleeper.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Story says that the 97-year-old was pushed and suffered a broken hip. I guess he didn't know how to fall.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Yep. Baron's the best. You should look him up on YouTube, not just for wrestling matches, but his son did a play that is modeled after the Baron. Some of his promos for the theatre production are on YouTube and he's pretty funny.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And Savage left for the WWF in 1986. I'm not seeing myself as incorrect here.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Actually, Savage went to WWF in late 1985. He won the IC belt in Feb. 1986. But you are correct in that Memphis became loosely affiliated with the AWA around 1986. In Lawler's book (take it for what it's worth), he wrote that they switched to the AWA because they were rarely getting the NWA champion (i.e., Flair) to come to their territory. Flair was mostly working for Crockett in the Carolinas and in Georgia. Lawler also wrote that he and Jerry Jarrett had wanted a title switch in Memphis at one point, because it had never happened. The NWA kept refusing, so they switched to the AWA.

Draft saved Draft deleted