1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro lacrosse gamer

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by DGRollins, Jan 14, 2008.

1. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

This a is just a typical story...it's been about six months since I was last critiqued, so I thought it would be worthwhile to post something.

Thanks in advance:

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Bandits' fans is incorrect. It's not a possessive. You have it listed in two parts. Also, Buffalo never lead should be led.

I would lead with the 6-0 run instead of the crowd did its part, but the team didn't. A crowd never plays a part in a win, it's all about how a team plays. The reaction of a crowd is better left further down in the story.

Just my four cents.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Typo in the fourth graf.

Should be "Buffalo never led..."

4. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

Thank you.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Sir, this is minor, but I'd add some variety in those two sentences or combine them into one: "Scott Evans, Matt Lyons and Shawn Williams each scored twice for Rochester, and Ken Millin, John Grant, Stephen Hoar, Bill Greer and Sandy Chapman added one apiece."

Also, hat trick isn't hyphenated; "The game wasn’t as close as the score would indicate" -- I'd go with "... as the score indicated"; you don't need the "different" when saying nine players scored (of course they're different, you know?).

I like the way you told the story.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Seems from a cursory glance that you really backed into the result. It looks like it took four or five grafs before you got to the score.

If one of my writers gave me a gamer like that, I'd tell him or her doing that's unacceptable.

Draft saved Draft deleted