1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro Football Weekly is done

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mahoney, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

Not shocking news, but I hate to see it...

Their draft guide was the best - between them and Kiper stopping publication, not sure if there even will be a printed guide of any reasonable quality available next year.
  2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Active Member

I am surprised it lasted as long as it did. It folded for a couple year's in the 80's and now with the internet it was, sadly, a dead man walking.

But I loved it for 30 years or so until the web took over. I remember Brent Musberger writing a weekly column back when he was in print journalism, Joel Buchsbaum (I still wonder what he meant when he said a lineman had a bubble butt) and their great notes column.

There is a great feature by Juliet Macur about Buchsbaum in the Dallas Morning News in April 2003. Buchsbaum was basically an urban hermit who starved himself to death because of his allergies. And Bill Belichick may be in many ways a jerk but he did go to the Buchsbaum's funeral, which was a great thing to do.

I can't pick up a good link for the article but if someone knows a link please post it. Thanks.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My library stopped getting copies in October and we didn't even notice til January.
  4. RonClements

RonClements Member

This inevitable circumstance was talked about quite a bit at the Combine in February and guys like Eric Edholm saw it coming. I'm sure he'll land somewhere soon, if he hasn't already found a gig. He's one of the best people in the business I've met.
    PFW was a great publication and it's sad to see it go by the wayside. It's really unfortunate what is happening to journalism.
  5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

At least they didn't formally file for bankruptcy -- again . . .
  6. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Member

I contacted Buchsbaum once for analysis of a college player of interest to our publication, someone who would be a late-round pick or a free-agent signing. Without any preparation, Buchsbaum was able to launch into a detailed, insightful explanation of the player's strengths and weaknesses -- as if he were researching that very player the moment I called.
  7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

A generation ago, I used to read all these things... Sports Illustrated, The Sporting News, baseball, football, hockey publications.

Today, with an ocean of information out there available for free via the internet, there just isn't a market for them. The information is still valuable, just the method of delivery has changed.
  8. A bit off topic, but I recently started getting SI again (via a nephew's school fundraiser). I'm very, very surprised at how much I enjoy reading it. Comes in the mail Friday, and I'm usually done w/ it by the end of the weekend. Obviously, part of that is that it's pretty skinny these days, but the storytelling is still superb. I gobble up the three or four stories and then glance over all the charticles and whatever that Dan Patrick feature is. Reading those same stories on my phone or laptop is nowhere near as enjoyable for me.
  9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Active Member

From reading Arkush's letter I beleive they did. He talked about a court filing and the anger suppliers would feel.
  10. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

I agree - Eric Edholm is a class act. I was a PFW contributing team correspondent last season and it was Eric who reached out and brought me aboard when he found out I was a free agent.

I remember buying PFW off the newsstands as a youngster. Sad to see PFW go or any hard print publication for that matter.
  11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That linked story is an epic read.
  12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Ed Sherman reports:

Draft saved Draft deleted