1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro Football HOF Class of 2009 Finalists announced. Who you got?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pseudo, Jan 6, 2009.

?

Who's in your Class of 2009?

Poll closed Jan 31, 2009.
  1. Cris Carter – Wide Receiver – 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami D

55 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. Dermontti Dawson – Center – 1988-2000 Pittsburgh Steelers

20 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. Richard Dent – Defensive End – 1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Indiana

27 vote(s)
    35.5%
  4. Russ Grimm – Guard – 1981-1991 Washington Redskins

19 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. *Bob Hayes – Wide Receiver – 1965-1974 Dallas Cowboys, 1975 San Francisco 49ers

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  6. *Claude Humphrey – Defensive End – 1968-1978 Atlanta Falcons, 1979- 1981 Philadelphia Eagles

5 vote(s)
    6.6%
  7. Cortez Kennedy – Defensive Tackle – 1990-2000 Seattle Seahawks

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. Bob Kuechenberg – Guard – 1970-1984 Miami Dolphins

15 vote(s)
    19.7%
  9. Randall McDaniel – Guard – 1988-1999 Minnesota Vikings, 2000-01 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

16 vote(s)
    21.1%
  10. John Randle – Defensive Tackle – 1990-2000 Minnesota Vikings, 2001-03 Seattle Seahawks

13 vote(s)
    17.1%
  11. Andre Reed – Wide Receiver – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins

25 vote(s)
    32.9%
  12. Shannon Sharpe – Tight End – 1990-99, 2002-03 Denver Broncos, 2000-01 Baltimore Ravens

34 vote(s)
    44.7%
  13. Bruce Smith – Defensive End – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000-03 Washington Redskins

70 vote(s)
    92.1%
  14. Paul Tagliabue – Commissioner – 1989-2006 National Football League

11 vote(s)
    14.5%
  15. Derrick Thomas – Linebacker – 1989-1999 Kansas City Chiefs

43 vote(s)
    56.6%
  16. Ralph Wilson – Team Founder/Owner – 1960-Present Buffalo Bills

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
  17. Rod Woodson – Cornerback/Safety – 1987-1996 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers, 1998-2001

61 vote(s)
    80.3%
  1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

We've had a few threads discussing potential Hall of Famers lately, but I'll guarantee that at least four of the names on my list make it. ;)

Bruuuuce and Woodson would appear to be first-ballot locks; does Shannon Sharpe join them? And could Bullet Bob Hayes possibly be denied yet again?

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bob Hayes unfortunately, doesn't make it this year. Kuchenberg and Humphrey should've been in. Carter should make it before Sharpe. Andre Reed should also be in Canton.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Cris Carter, Bruce Smith, Rod Woodson, Derrick Thomas, Shannon Sharpe are my five locks, though I think Woodson is overrated a tad.

If I picked two more, I'd go with Claude Humphrey (damn good in the pre-sack era) and Andre Reed, though I could be swayed to vote for one of the offensive linemen (either McDaniel or Kuechenberg) in place of Reed if a good argument was made for them.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I should just create a template for my annual rant, but there's just no way in hell Andre Tippett should be in the Hall and Rickey Jackson can't even make the finalist list. No way in hell.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I voted for McDaniel. Seven-time first team All-Pro, 12 straight Pro Bowls. He missed out on the Pro Bowl twice in 14 seasons. His rookie year, and his last.

6. Bubbler

Bob Hayes is so tough to measure.

He really did change the game, but there are those from that era who insist he's overrated. His lack of support is often attributed to his drug problems, but there are plenty who don't think he should be in because of his football. He's a very tough subject.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Got that one right. Three members of the Dome Patrol should be in before Andre Tippett. And please ... let the Pats fans who I anger with this remark scream in unison.

Tippett wasn't a better linebacker than Rickey Jackson. No freaking way. And while Pat Swilling was a one-trick pony - a pass rusher - he was among the most feared in the league. The third? If you have to ask, you haven't been paying attention.

-----

Back on topic ...

Cris Carter, Shannon Sharpe and Rod Woodson should be mortal locks. That Carter didn't get in last year was criminal. After those three, I'll take Dermontti Dawson and Bruce Smith.

Andre Reed, unfortunately, waits another year as does Randall McDaniel and Derrick Thomas.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Carter, Dent, Grimm, Smith, Thomas, Wilson, Woodson.

Originally had Dawson instead of Grimm, but I changed my mind. Not that Dawson isn't deserving, but Grimm was a key member of two Super Bowl teams and perhaps the greatest offensive line in the Super Bowl era.

9. Bubbler

I hate the fact that the NFL HOF "contributors" take up a place that should be reserved for "players".

As important as someone like Wilson or Tagliabue may or may not be, no one should have to weigh them against Randall McDaniel or Claude Humphrey. Apples meet oranges.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Agreed. If the Pro Football HOF wants them, just wave Tags and Ralph Wilson in with the maximum allotment of players. So there will be two more speeches on induction day. Big freaking whoopee.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

The o-line numbers should be interesting, FH. Grimm would be my pick as well, but there's plenty of room to split the vote.

Agreed, Bubs. Should be a separate wing for non-players.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

One part of me agrees, but I see a strength to this system. If you had a spot open every year for a contributor, they'd vote in a contributor every year. The HOF is not better for allowing in every stinking owner who hangs around long enough. (I shudder to think of Tom Benson in the HOF.) As it stands now, they do have to decide whether that contributor is worthy of bumping a player back a year or more.

Draft saved Draft deleted