1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro Football HoF - 2 Names

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CYowSMR, Aug 11, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

TSP, you may be right. He was fantastic in that game, especially late. He would have been the MVP of that Super Bowl had the Cardinals won. That probably puts him over the edge in the minds of some voters.

The interception was a big mistake, but you have to give Harrison some credit for that. Warner read the defense perfectly. The only problem for him was that Harrison chose to freelance. He was supposed to rush the passer, but decided to drop into coverage instead.

And there is no way you can blame Warner for the interception being returned for a touchdown. Not his fault at all.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just some interesting numbers to chew on for pro-Warner guys like me:

Age of first NFL start:
    Bledsoe: 21
    Cunningham: 22
    Gabriel: 22
    K. Anderson: 22
    Esiason: 23
    Plunkett: 23
    Simms: 24 (damn, I did not know he was a 24-yr-old rookie)
    Theismann: 27
    B. Johnson: 28
    Warner: 28

Winning % as a starter:
    Theismann: .621
    Cunningham: .611
    Simms: .597
    Warner: .578
    Johnson: .576
    Gabriel: .570
    Anderson: .529
    Bledsoe: .508
    Plunkett: .500
    Esiason: .462

Passing YDS per game:
    Warner: 258.2 yds (2nd a/t)
    Bledsoe: 230.0 (13th)
    Simms: 204.0 (35th)
    Esiason: 202.8 (36th)
    Cunningham: 186.2 (53rd)
    Anderson: 171 (?? not listed at Pro-Football-Reference.com)
    Plunkett: 164.9 (88th)
    Johnson: 164.1 (89th)
    Gabriel: 160.9 (95th)
    Theismann: 150.9 (121st)

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Don't get me wrong, wins don't completely tell the story, but the fact that Warner only got 67 speaks volumes about his career. Not too many guys had Super Bowls to bookend their careers, but not many guys in Canton spent good portions of their careers as backups either.

We'll see. It will be a great debate in 4 1/2 years.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Somewhat related: Why isn't Cris Carter in the Hall of Fame?

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Can we dispense with this? Seriously, it might be called the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but given that the NFL controls nearly every aspect of it, it's just a name.

Here's an overlooked player of the past who never gets mentioned ... Redskins linebacker Chris Hanburger. He was a great player on primarily good Redskins teams, but he never gets any mention at all.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how that is related to Warner, but it is a good question. He should be there.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He'll get in. He's only been eligible for a 2 or 3 years. The PFHOF is the hardest to get into. Some obviously worthy guys end up waiting while they make their way through names that were eligible first. It took James Lofton 5 years of eligibility before he was inducted. It took Michael Irvin 3 years. Charlie Joiner 4 years.

Carter will get in.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry but any HOF that has a minimum number of inductees every year is nowhere near the hardest HOF to get into.

Carter is waiting b/c he didn't do anything until he was 28. Irvin waited b/c he was an idiot. Joiner waited b/c he didn't have his first 900-yd season until he was 29. Lofton waited b/c he was a very average WR his last eight years (one 1,000-yd season).

They all belong, but they didn't get in on the first ballot b/c they weren't first ballot guys.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Look at the list of modern WRs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and aside from Jerry Rice, tell me who is eligible that you couldn't find fault with, using some "let's scratch and dig for something wrong with him" criteria. Irvin, Carter, Lofton, Joiner were unarguably among the best receivers there have been. Tim Brown, Andre Reed and Art Monk are among the top 10 in all-time receptions (and all up there in total yards, too) and that includes 5 recent players who are not yet eligible who played in a more pass-happy NFL. None of those guys are in. You are really going to tell me that Michael Irvin, Charlie Joiner, James Lofton, etc. had to wait a few years because they were flawed, and therefore guys like Carter, Tim Brown, Andre Reed and Art Monk are not in because they are presumably even more flawed?

Who are the great receivers in there who were any better than those guys? After Jerry Rice, tell me who the unflawed studs are using your criteria.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Warner didn't do shit until he was 46. Be consistent!

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Pro football hall is the toughest because there are so many positions and now so many teams.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hell no on Flutie. Barely no on Warner.

And if it makes the Canadians who watch a radically different type of game any happier, Canton doesn't have any Aussie Rules Football or Mattel Talking Football players in it, either. The NFL can call its hall of fame whatever it damn wants without feeling any burden to let in the world. And I don't think any McGill players are in the College Football Hall of Fame, either. Rail against that injustice

Draft saved Draft deleted