1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists for 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Well stated, though I think there's a chance he will eventually be selected - long after he's dead.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If Modell didn't strike the TV deals, someone from that generation of owners would have.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

And the St. Louis Patriots would be hurting for fans and drawing mediocre ratings and threatening to move to Los Angeles. In the Kraft/Belichick/Brady era, the Patriots have gone from "dumpster" franchise to one of the league's five or so most popular teams.

I agree about Modell being more worthy. I also agree that he'll get in after he's dead, if at all. Let's not forget that Canton is in Ohio.

4. Herbert Anchovy

http://www.cleveland.com/livingston/index.ssf/2010/12/upon_further_review_art_modell.html

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Jerry Jones deserves to get in if it's about TV. Great anecdote in the book "America's Game" about his first meeting with a network, when the network head was saying how fair Rozelle has always been and how happy the networks were. Jerry said something to the effect of "the last time the other side praised my negotiator, I changed negotiators." That change in mentality is why the TV dollars have become so astronomical -- Jones saw the market value when others didn't.

EDIT: Just saw Herb's post, but yeah, it was Jones who blew up the old crony ways.

6. Herbert Anchovy

I wouldn't like seeing the rotten SOB so honored, but I think Jones gets in when it's all said and done.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If we're going to trash Kraft and DeBartolo because all they did was sign the checks, why the love for Modell, when all he did was sign the paper that moved the original Browns out of town. Just not feeling the love for the latter. Kraft? Yes, think he'll be in, but, let's face it ... I can think of several school children who would have run the Pats better than Victor Kiam!

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Modell was enormously instrumental in persuading owners to share revenue via the national TV contract, which might be the single biggest factor in the league's growth into America's #1 sport.

That said, I wouldn't put him in. In addition to the betrayal of Cleveland fans, he took the helm of one of the league's great franchises and turned it into a loser.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Modell's part in the revenue sharing and the TV contract puts him ahead of any current owner, who isn't already in.

For owners the question that should be asked is "Did they change the game?"

If you're an owner, you should need to do a lot more than just win a couple Super Bowls to get into Canton.

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Peter King says his gut tells him:
    Demonti Dawson Dawson, wide receiver Andre Reed, defensive end Charles Haley, running back Curtis Martin and tackle William Roaf.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/01/10/mail/index.html#ixzz1j5SQiLpz

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't understand Andre Reed over Tim Brown at all.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't understand either over Chris Carter.

Draft saved Draft deleted