1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists for 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 7, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Williams wasn't even the Redskins' starter most of that season. He was a decent passer who was lifted up by a dominant offensive line and outstanding receivers.

Hostetler was a backup who won because the Giants were able to shorten the game. They wouldn't have had to if Simms was playing.

In other words, I think you are overrating some of these guys.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Solid starter is overrating them?

Hostetler won about 60 percent of his NFL starts, that's not too shabby... Williams was right around .500 despite playing on some bad Tampa teams.

Dilfer's record as a starter is better than I thought it would be (slightly over .500), but he still had more picks than TDs.

He wasn't a horrid player, but I still think he's the worst of the 29 QBs who has won a Super Bowl.

3. outofplace

Given that neither Williams nor Hostetler was the starter for his team the year they ended up starting in the Super Bowl, yes, I do think even solid starter is overrating both of them.

4. Mizzougrad96

This was based on their careers.

5. outofplace

I get that, but looking at who they were at the time they won their Super Bowls would make more sense.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Technically, Brady wasn't the starter to begin the season either when the Pats won their first Super Bowl.

7. Mizzougrad96

So, should he rank with Dilfer? :D

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Only slightly better, but yeah interchangeable. (blue font needed)

Draft saved Draft deleted