1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists for 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Here's what they cut down to the final 15. I'm surprised at a couple of names but I don't think it would matter. There's so many holdovers that need to get in from this group

Jerome Bettis
    Tim Brown
    Cris Carter
    Dermontti Dawson
    Edward DeBartolo, Jr.
    Chris Doleman
    Kevin Greene
    Charles Haley
    Cortez Kennedy
    Curtis Martin
    Bill Parcells
    Andre Reed
    Willie Roaf
    Will Shields
    Aeneas Williams

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As we are now firmly in the free agent era of HOF nominees, does it make it easier or harder to value players? How much effect does it have in the room when you might have one or two writers who covered a player on the local level (in some cases it might hurt more than help).
    The guy who spends his entire career in a city, establishes good relations with the local press is bound to become more rare (and in those cases, they are usually no-brainers, see Manning, Peyton).

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't think FA hurts as much as roster churn of today's game. Looking at running backs - more and more, they have a short peak and then they're done. Will the voters eventually compensate for that?

Of the list, Cris Carter not being in is probably the biggest oversight to me. Is this Parcells first year? Otherwise, I can't fathom why he isn't in. For most of the lineman, I don't really know how good they are; for this era of football history, my knowledge is fairly limited to just skill position guys. Brown and Bettis are probably "close but not quite" guys to me.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If I were selecting from that list, there are only three I'd vote for and a fourth that I'd need to think about a little more.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Would be nice to see Brown make it, but the Reed/Carter/Brown logjam has to break first.

Parcells is long overdue. Can make arguments for any of the rest, wouldn't argue anyone who says they shouldn't be in.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, without looking up stats:

Jerome Bettis -- Should get in this year
    Tim Brown -- Should get in, but the longer it takes to get in, the worse his chances are.
    Cris Carter -- Should get in this year
    Dermontti Dawson -- Not really sure. I remember him being a great player, but I couldn't properly assess him without some research.
    Edward DeBartolo, Jr. -- Did he do more than own the Niners during their dynasty years? Doesn't seem like a game-changer as an owner.
    Chris Doleman -- Don't think he gets there.
    Kevin Greene -- Great player, should get in eventually.
    Charles Haley -- Should get in this year
    Cortez Kennedy -- I think he won defensive player of the year once, a great run stuffer. Not sure he's dominant enough like say a Warren Sapp to get in.
    Curtis Martin -- Should get in this year
    Bill Parcells -- Should get in this year
    Andre Reed -- I don't think he'll ever get in. Was very good, but more and more receivers are going to pass his numbers.
    Willie Roaf -- Eventually will get in
    Will Shields -- I don't even know who this is offhand
    Aeneas Williams -- Not quite a quite a HOFer

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

In the semifinalists thread, I said, "My seven picks: Bettis, Brown, Carter, Dawson, Kennedy, Parcells and Tagliabue. I say let Roaf and Shields in together next year; I might put both ahead of Kennedy, but I would rather see Kennedy make it than split up those two. It would be great to see them go in together."

I'm a bit surprised to see Tagliabue snubbed. But I guess now I can put Shields and Roaf in to replace Kennedy and Tagliabue.

Parcells and Bettis should be locks, but this Hall of Fame has basically voided the use of that phrase.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Umm ... He's a 12-time Pro Bowler who retired in 2006.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/ShieWi00.htm

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Kennedy was a DPoY for a 2-14 team that finished in the top 10 in total defense while setting a record for the fewest points in a 16-game season. You don't see that kind of singular dominance from a player on a team that bad.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Still means nothing to me. I never noticed the right guard for the Kansas City Chiefs. I wasn't saying he shouldn't be in, I just know nothing about him.

As I said, my opinions on that list were off the top of my head, first reactions.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Here's my votes.

Jerome Bettis -- Should get in this year
    Tim Brown -- Should get in, but not this year
    Cris Carter -- Should get in this year
    Dermontti Dawson -- Not this year
    Edward DeBartolo, Jr. -- Should get in this year. He completely transformed the culture of that franchise. Sure, Walsh, Montana and Rice played a bigger part, but he was widely regarded as the best owner around.
    Chris Doleman -- Not sure he was dominant for a long enough period to get in.
    Kevin Greene -- Not sure he was dominant for a long enough period to get in.
    Charles Haley -- Not this year.
    Cortez Kennedy -- Not sure he was dominant for a long enough period to get in.
    Curtis Martin -- Not this year
    Bill Parcells -- Should get in this year
    Andre Reed -- I don't think he'll ever get in.
    Willie Roaf -- Eventually will get in
    Will Shields -- Should get in this year
    Aeneas Williams -- Not quite a quite a HOFer

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Peter King adores him, Dr. Z does not.

Good enough for me. Keep him out.

Draft saved Draft deleted