1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro Football Hall announces 2010 finalists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Well, he played for 14 years at a high level and has coached for 36 years at an even higher level. That has to be of some account.

2. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

There is not nearly enough love for John Randle on this thread. I don't think people realize how good he was because the Vikings were never that great for most of his career and he never won shit. When he retired he was 5th all-time in sacks and he is 1st all-time in sacks by a defensive tackle. This is a guy who was 6'1", 290 and played DT. He wasn't even drafted. He is a HOFer. If you asked most people to rank DTs most would put Sapp above him, only because Sapp was better and not being able to shut his fucking mouth. Randle was twice the player.

3. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

The fact that he wasn't drafted and the fact that he was undersized shouldn't mean shit.

Not saying he shouldn't get in, but those things don't mean dick.

4. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Brown, Carter, Sharpe, Grimm, Rice, Smith.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Brown, Carter, Rice, Sharpe and Smith.

Rice and Smith better be unanimous.

6. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I disagree. He shouldn't get more bonus points because he wasn't drafted, but he was overlooked because no one wants a 6'0 DT who weighs under 300 pounds. It takes a hell of a player to overcome a size disadvantage like that. Most great DTs have the genetics to become great players. They have to be huge. It's not like Randle was a pencilneck, but he was small for his position by NFL standards. It makes him a better player in my eyes. He had to rely more on technique than most elite linemen. Most sacks ever by a player at his position. He played my favorite team twice a year, so I vividly remember how great and disruptive he was.

If a 5'7" guy joined the NBA tomorrow and put up LeBron's numbers, he would have to be considered a better player than LeBron, in my opinion. I think it definitely means something.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Gene on this one. Sorry, but players do not deserve extra credit for overcoming limited talent. Randle did what he did and I think it will be enough to get him to the Hall of Fame some day. But he should be judged on his merits, not on whatever perceived limitations he had to overcome.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You don't get extra wins for style points.

Not to mention, who is to say that Randle's speed, determination and technique weren't just as much genetic predispositions as someone else's size?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Craig should be kept out just for that fumble against the Giants.

10. Mizzougrad96

Tim Brown – Wide Receiver/Kick Returner – Will probably have to wait one or two years.
    Cris Carter – Wide Receiver – Should get in this year. Will probably have to wait until next year.
    Don Coryell – Coach – Will not get in
    Roger Craig – Running Back – Will not get in
    Dermonti Dawson – Center - Will get in eventually
    Richard Dent – Defensive End – Will get in this year.
    Russ Grimm – Guard – Will not get in.
    Charles Haley – Defensive End/Linebacker – Will get in eventually
    Rickey Jackson – Linebacker – Wow, that's a tough one. I say he gets in eventually.
    Cortez Kennedy – Defensive Tackle – Will not get in
    Dick LeBeau* – Cornerback – Who knows?
    Floyd Little* – Running Back – Will not get in
    John Randle – Defensive Tackle – Will get in eventually
    Andre Reed – Wide Receiver – Will get in eventually
    Jerry Rice – Wide Receiver – Will get in this year
    Shannon Sharpe – Tight End – Will get in eventually
    Emmitt Smith – Running Back – Will get in this year

Smith and Rice definitely make it this year. If it comes down to Carter or Brown, that will be tough, Carter was the better player, but had a drug problem, but came back to mentor other players. Sharpe should get in this year. Dent should have been in a long time ago.

11. Mizzougrad96

There are four receivers on that list that should go in this year. Knowing how the HOF committee usually votes, I'd be stunned if more than two go in this year.

12. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I never got the "will eventually get in" stuff in any HOF. If someone is a HOFer 10 years from now they are a HOFer today. Why make them wait? Stupid to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted