1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro Bowl Rosters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BettorFan, Dec 16, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think you were right for several years. The sad reality is, he's now no longer a first-tier running back.

Watch out for Clinton Portis to fall off the face of the earth in the next two or three seasons.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

So I'll agree with you on Kasay over Carney but not hanson. So he has a bundle of more EP's and 3 more makes. All a product of a better offense. Hanson has the best leg of the year. Maybe not the most points, but the best leg.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I won't discredit Jason Hanson's season ... he's still one of the best in the league and proof that the Lions are not a complete loss (he, Calvin Johnson, Ernie Sims and their rookie RB are good players). But Kasay had a standout year, and I won't let you discredit his season simply because he had more opportunities.

And if you don't believe John Kasay still has a strong leg, you haven't seen very many Panthers games.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Jason Peters? Really?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But that really is the point, making kicks. Kasay has made more, therefore he has produced more. Just because Hanson might have a stronger leg, and I'm not convinced of that, doesn't mean he is more deserving. This is about production, not ability.

6. Sam Mills 51

If it were about a strong leg, they would have named the NFC spot after Morten Andersen. Still don't know a kicker who ever had a stronger leg for as long as Andersen did ... and I know about Jan Stenerud, Pete Gogolak and others.

7. outofplace

Agreed. Anderson was amazing. When mustang mentioned that he had never seen a kicker hit a 56-yarder with that much room to spare in his lifetime, Anderson was the first player that popped into my mind.

The second one being Jason Elam, who tied Tom Dempsey's record with a 63-yard field goal in 1998.

8. Sam Mills 51

Morten wouldn't have had a big problem hitting one. And while I hesitate to mention this at risk of discrediting Elam, his was in Denver and I would be prone to think that Denver's mile-high altitude trumps kicking in a dome - at least when it comes to pure distance.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Kasay has scored 111 of the Panthers' 353 points, or 31.4 percent. He's at 96 percent on field goals.
    Hanson has scored 84 of the Lions' 240 points, or 35 percent. He's at 95.5 percent on field goals.

I wouldn't discount Hanson because he's gotten 17 fewer extra point opportunities than Kasay, which is a reflection of the team's offense, not of his ability or performance this season. He's done everything that could have been asked of him this season.

The fact that Hanson made all 14 field goals from 40 yards or more, I would probably give him a slight nod over Kasay, who's 9 for 9 from 40-49 yards but only 1 of 2 from 50-plus. The numbers, at least to me, back Hanson.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd see adding Hanson if there were a rule that every NFL team had to have at least one representative in the Pro Bowl. But since that isn't a clue, I'd go with Kasay because of their record. I mean, who wants to see a Detroit Lion in Honolulu?

11. outofplace

Well, Kasay has also made more field goals, not just more extra points. I can see the argument for Hanson based on making more long kicks. I'm not so enthusiastic about counting the percentage of the team's scoring. Kasay shouldn't be penalized for being on a better team, either.

12. outofplace

Absolutely. If you give me a choice of any kicker in NFL history in his prime trying a 60-plus yarder with the Super Bowl on the line, I'll take Morten Anderson.

Draft saved Draft deleted