1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

privileged sportswriters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by da el g, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

who gives a flying fuck what the guy wrote ... he's a fucking blogger for christ's sake.

2. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

For someone who is a "true fan" and doesn't have access he sure pretends to know a lot about what reporters do in and out of the locker room. What gives him such insight?

How are we supposed to court favor with the coach/manager? Over a long season, a respectable writer would eventually print something that may come off as negative about the coach.

I still don't get his point. Is he mad at all sports writers in general or just "celebrity" writers like Reilly and Simmons?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have a blog (I won't plug it here, because that's the kind of guy I am). I used to be a columnist. I really see no need for the two sides to fight, it's two different things entirely.
    A lot of bloggers are jealous pricks who couldn't hack it in the newspaper game, which they fail to realize is their good fortune. A lot of sportswriters are defensive and sensitive because they never came to grips with the fact people hate journalists because, when all is said and done, we can be pricks, and many people cannot deal with reality, so don't like reading about it. But these groups are minorities on both sides.
    If a writer in any medium sincerely believes they are doing good work, and giving their utmost to it, why should they give a fuck what anyone else thinks.
    (It is fun to write fuck whenever I want, I'll admit it.)

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

David Poole's post on this thread is the post of the year. I don't think anything more needs to be said, but, carry on anyway.

5. Let the church say amen.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Well that's a freakin' shock.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

End of thread.

Nice post, DD

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The classic catch-22 applies to real sports writers too though. I'd love to be a college football reporter one day. Every job opening wants college football clips. I have no solid college football features or gamers because that's someone else's job. Can't get the clips with out the gig, cant get the gig without the clips.

Not having privileges sucks.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Here's a horn, buckweaver. Keep on tooting it if you want. You're a young fucking stud.

Some of us had to put the work in to get to where we are today, since we didn't go to a powerhouse j-school. Even if we didn't, maybe we didn't have the connections coming out of college. Now we do though. Congrats on putting the effort in during school. Those of us making it work now know the folly of our ways in college and are working toward achieving where we want to be.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wow. Defensive much?

I didn't go to a powerhouse J-school, either. Nor did I have connections. I had a 3.1 GPA, which is mediocre, at best. My degree isn't even in journalism. Or communications.

I also haven't had to blanket the country with resumes to get where I am today. But I guess I'm not a journalist because I didn't experience what you did.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I really expected you to jump into the discussion AS SOON AS I posted. It's fine though. Welcome.

I had no connections. I had a 3.003 GPA through college, but a 3.8 in my journalism classes. My degree is in English with a concentration in journalism.

I didn't 'blanket' the nation is resumes, but I sent off enough to try to land the job that would put me in the best position to advance. I am a realist. I didn't apply to jobs such as the USA Today and such, but I applied to the ones I was sure that they would at least read my clips.

Business, when it comes down to it, is to make connections. It's not WHAT YOU KNOW, rather WHO YOU KNOW. Those who you know can get your further than what you know.

You are a great person for landing jobs that you wanted. I never doubted that you may be the best journalist or copy editor in your certain part of the nation. Congratulations and salutations.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't even have a degree! Top that! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted