1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

privileged sportswriters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by da el g, Apr 11, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Fucking bloggers.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not at all directed at this thread, but am I the only one who is SO tired of this subject? Every time a blogger takes a shot at the traditional (ie, credentialed & paid) media, does it require another round of indignant outrage?

This schmo thinks it's a privilege to cover sports? He's right. It's a privilege to be entrusted to gather and report news...it's a public trust, with standards and responsibilities and an earnest attempt at accountability and integrity. He should be so lucky.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No they don't.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course, some questions never get asked. But I can dream . . .

When Kobe Bryant says, "I just decided to take over the game in the fourth quarter" (I have seen players say many times they "just decided" to do these things) . . . nobody ever responds with, "Gee, why didn't you decide to do that the night before, when you scored two points in the fourth quarter?"

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I've gotten so sick of hearing "We didn't play a full 40 (60, whatever) minutes" that my next question is always, "Well, why didn't you?"

As far as BLOGS! it's just as wrong to paint them with a broad brush as it is to paint sports journalists. Some journalists quite frankly stink. So do some blogs. Some of each are good.

Oh, and I'm happy no one claimed this guy writes about sports from the TV in his mom's basement. Man that joke (as FJM never fails to point out) has become so cliche.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Someone needs to invite BDD in here to defend his position.

7. jps

jps Active Member

Some do sit in their own basements now, I hear.

8. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

That's the big difference. I don't look up to these guys. I don't like them. The guy is right on one thing, ESPN's shows have destroyed what people think sportswriters do. Even PTI is embarrassing.

The difference between us and the guy on the couch is all he knows about the game is what he watches. If he wanted to know more, he reads us, THEN COMPLAINS ABOUT IT.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Agreed, too.

21, the indignant outrage stems from the continued attacks by bloggers like this bullshit that sparked yet another thread, and the continued erosion of the "public trust" many of us realize because the public laps up these "sportswriters are lazy shits" blogs and loves it when Mike Gundy or Nick Saban go apeshit on the media.

Many bloggers fail to adhere to any sort of the things you pointed out, though. No standards. No responsibilities, other than to toss in a few more F-bombs or dick jokes to make the college kids laugh. No accountability. Little, if any, integrity. Problem is, the public doesn't care and wants to know why the newspaper columnist can't say "dick" in the newspaper.

Bad bloggers are not like weeds in the yard, which will grow for a while and then die. They're like a tumor in the belly, festering until it has to be excised or controlled.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Wholly agree, in spirit . . . but the devil's in the details, as always.

So long as straight-shooters continue to be embarassed and thrown into the same pile with the agendamongers, pet-promoters and self-promoters, we got Trouble . . . with a capital T.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

This guy is saying "I'm (we're) better than privileged sportswriters because we don't have access and they do."

However, bloggers/blogs like Deadspin, TBL and EDSBS appear to be gaining traction. TSN hired "Orson Swindle" of EDSBS and apparently Yahoo is hiring MJD. Of course, Swindle doesn't use vulgar language at TSN like he does on EDSBS. Will Yahoo allow MJD to use "fuck" and "shit"?

How far will sites and newspapers' sites go to attract hits/eyeballs? How much whoring is enough?

Check out this video http://www.star-telegram.com/dafowo/ (and the archives) from the FW Star-Telegram. Entertaining, kinda like the Daily Show but not the kind of stuff you find in print "journalism."

12. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Most readers don't respect or value the work of sportswriters. They all think they can do better. They are getting their chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted