1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Privatization of US Stadiums

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Every single one of these "studies" is done by some kind of group on the payroll of the sports franchises pumping for taxpayer-paid stadiums. Every single one.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yes I truly believe this. Look back what 35 years ago. The universities were paying the professors and the chancellers/presidents more than the head coaches. The teachers and others were making for the most part more than the average player.

Why? Because society did not value the sports to the extent they do nowadays

I truly believe that if we can motivate the next generation to make a difference, the problems we perceive today as unreachable can be attainedl. Look back to the 40's/50's/60s, who would have thought that they would (1) go to the moon; (2) enact civil right legislation and (3) move towards desegregation of every single inch in the US?

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fixed.

I don't think that meant we had our priorities in order because teachers were paid more than players who were held as indentured servants.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Go to the city of Anaheim and the way they fellate Disney over Disneyland gets perilously close to your statement, Inks.

While they don't build a new Matterhorn or Space Mountain for them, they do give tax breaks, zoning allowances and even a waiver against equal opportunity laws in hiring.

You see, when you apply for a job at Disneyland, you're not "applying for a job." You're "auditioning for a role." So because of that, they can discriminate against you based on appearance, ethnic background, etc.

And Bob Cook, your arguments are dead-on nails.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

For the NFL, NHL, and perhaps the NBA, I'd agree.

Virtually every MLB franchise has a reasonably-priced ticket available, however. (I consider $8-10 reasonably priced, since that what you pay to go to the movies these days.)

And yes, I'd agree with you that cities/counties/states have absolutely no business building sports stadiums for professional franchises. Or performance halls for entertainers who make millions a year, either. Or major tax breaks for companies that outsource half their jobs. Or no sales tax to certain companies.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The football owners did not have the reserve clause, nor did the basketball owners. Bob Cousy was going into private industry because they paid more than the Celtics were offering.

Priorities were in order, why? Because there was so much less disposable income around. As the disposable incomes have grown, the priorities have gone out of whack. Yes, they loved the Yankees and Mickey Mantle/Joe D/Gehrig but Ma and Pa did not salivate over their every last work and did not spend $$ to watch every second of their lives.

You may disagree, fine. I respect that. But our priorities are truly out of whack and rather than just accept it, I believe there is the opportunity to reeducate and change that belief.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fair enough. For the record, I agree with the premise ... I just disagree that sports has much to do with the problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted