1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prison Ecape: Matt shot dead by police, manhunt now on for Sweat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 26, 2015.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The AP moved a great account detailing everything from the jailbreak to the capture of the second escapee. They may have hoped Mitchell was in love with them (with Matt in particular), but I'm pretty sure they were just using her like they used the power tools and other implements she smuggled to them from the workshop. These guys were cold-blooded killers (read about how they ended up in the prison), and they would have done the same thing to Mitchell once she drove them to Mexico.

Oh, and @Mr. Sunshine ... I get the joke. :)

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If Mitchell had picked them up, there wasn't much reason to keep her alive, at least not after she hit up an ATM.

But, man, they should have worked her more to make sure she picked them up.

They would have been hours away before they were discovered missing.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yeah, but there is no facet of American life as much surveilled and as easy to trace as being in a car. Ditch the car, then you have to steal another one, and so on.

4. YankeeFan

Yeah. You'd have to ditch it, but they were out of jail before midnight, and wake up -- when they would have been discovered missing -- was 5:30.

Authorities wouldn't have known right away that she was their get away driver. Figure they get six or seven hours away, and then ditch the car in some deep woods.

They would have been far outside of any perimeter that was set up. They would have had some cash. That's a whole lot better than what they ended up with. They never got more than 40 miles away.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Don't you think that pig realized what she did and thought about the consequences. Seems that when she had the panic attack she may have thought 'i just wanted to help these guys, not sure i really want my husband to die.'

6. YankeeFan

Pretty interesting follow up:

By the time David Sweat spoke to investigators from the office of New York State’s inspector general last year, he had spent three weeks on the run, been shot by a state trooper, and was facing the prospect of spending the rest of his life in solitary confinement for pulling off a Hollywood-ready prison break that riveted the country.

But Mr. Sweat, a convicted murderer, was apparently eager to talk. And talk he did. In the 150-page report on the escape by the inspector general’s office released on Monday, Mr. Sweat comes off as unrepentant and smug, describing prison guards as lazy and incompetent and his sidekick, Richard W. Matt, as a bumbling, overweight tag-along. Mr. Matt was shot and killed by law enforcement authorities during the manhunt.

7. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

The Matt shooting has always been suspicious to me. The story put out by the authorities kept changing and the shooter was quickly moved out of the area being sent back to his home district.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Guards should have called in sick more often.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

ABC Albany says inmates at maximum security facility in Delaware have taken guards hostage.

Draft saved Draft deleted