1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Print's dead -- but so is digital"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I think:

a) there's enough of a discomfort level with automation in which driverless cars are going to be on the other side of the line for a while,
    b) Uber/Lyft, as with traditional cabs, is much more effective in cities and dense suburbs; there's still going to be large swaths of real estate where it's not as viable because you need cars for everything,
    c) driving is always going to be enjoyable for a segment of the population, people for whom it's more than a functional necessity. They're not dropping upper five and six figures on Vipers and M6s or spending tons of money and manpower on refurbishing their Mustang Mach IV or Barracuda to have it sit in the garage for a sedan that drives itself at speed limit to the Target.

There's definitely a market for depending on crowdsourced taxis/hourly rentals/driverless cars, but I also believe the "love affair with driving" has a lot more left than one gasp.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yeah, newspapers we know are dead. And online never had a chance. To those of you publishers who killed the newspaper business I have one point to make. Why in the hell would any metro or medium sized newspaper put high school sports stories on the Internet?? It's an audience where only the parents and students themselves care. Why did you stop MAKING them buy the newspaper and advertisers advertise?? Putting high school stories on the Internet where there's NO CHANCE of getting any advertising was a stupid decision. Again, make mommy and daddy and grandpa BUY the newspaper to read about Junior.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Or make them buy an app.

Draft saved Draft deleted