1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Print publications you subscribe to?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Good for him. He doesn't seem fond of me, but he has written some outstanding stuff through the years.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Wasn't there some kind of guideline regarding outing around here, or is everything fair game now?

I'm not being a dick, honest question.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Autoweek
    R&T (thanks to a freebie at the car show)

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, Jones has been pretty open about his identity.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Texas Monthly (one of the very best mags out there in my opinion, and I've never lived in Texas)
    Indianapolis Monthly (my city, my wife's old shop, many friends still there)
    Golf Digest (has gone way downhill but it keeps showing up)
    Sports Illustrated (a 35-year habit, can't break it now)
    Consumer Reports (interestingly, they've added bylines in the past year, the writing has kicked up a notch)

And I need to get a mail subscription to the small paper one county over, where my kid goes to school and is seemingly in there once a month for good grades, sports, whatever.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I should add that my mailman hates me. Sometimes he just flat out stops delivering my magazines. When I've called to complain, the supervisor says that he doesn't like having to carry them. Except he drives to my building and loads the bins onto a cart. It's not like he's on foot carrying a mailbag.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Jake_Taylor, SpeedTchr and Dyno like this.
  8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No from the Post Office has ever cracked the 50-percent barrier!

10. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

He's a great writer--and his meditation on the fourth drink is terrific--but I'm not sure how good of a fit he'll be for The Atlantic.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Subscribe to the paper I work for (at a discount), which is in the next town over and is the flagship of our local newspaper group, and my dad subscribes to the smaller, twice-a-week paper based in our town.
    Just two magazines: Games World of Puzzles (I love me the crosswords and word games) and Westways magazine, which I get with my Auto Club membership.
    Have e-subscription to Men's Health on my Kindle. Still tempted to get Enterainment Weekly, but haven't yet.
    I had an SI subscription from almost 30 years through four or five moves, ended it, then re-upped for a short time, but I just found I'd thumb through an issue for about 20 minutes and then not touch it again.

12. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

With the help of my basket of magazines:

Economist
    BloombergBusinessweek
    The Atlantic
    Harper's
    Golf
    SI
    Strategy & Business
    New Republic
    Wired
    Fortune
    Foreign Affairs
    N+1
    Jacobin
    Various legal journals
    Alumni mags

Except for the Economist and Business, I don't read any of these cover to cover. But most of them are pretty cheap, or a good use of airline miles that were about to expire.

Draft saved Draft deleted