1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Print publications you subscribe to?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I just affixed a stamp on my invoice to "Esquire," ponying up for another year even though one of their esteemed senior writers called me a "dick" on here a few days ago.

Do you still have any print subscriptions?

Mine are:

• Chicago Tribune
    • Sports Illustrated
    • Esquire
    • GQ
    • Rolling Stone
    • Outside
    • Whiskey Advocate
    • The New Yorker
    I think that's it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

You're mad he called you by your name?

Sports Illustrated is the only print pub I subscribe to.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

NY Times
    Journal News (Westchester)
    The New Yorker

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram is the only one I pay for.

I/we get tons of magazines, though -- Time, SI, BusinessWeek, Family Circle, Parenting, Southern Living, etc. -- because apparently those publishing companies think I'm that kind of doctor.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The magazine I edit.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I get Entertainment Weekly, Sports Illustrated, New York, The New Yorker, and ESPN. All cheapo subscriptions. I think Vanity Fair's coming soon thanks to that deal they offered after Trump mocked them. Might add GQ since I received an offer for $10/year. Have stacks of magazines to catch up on which I never will.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I ain't mad.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My wife gets House Beautiful and Southern Living.

I get jack shit.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

SI
    Entertainment Weekly
    GQ
    Vanity Fair
    Conde Nast Traveler
    Travel & Leisure
    Afar
    Lonely Planet
    Marie Claire
    Washingtonian
    Washington Post
    Philadelphia
    NY Times
    Consumer Reports
    InStyle
    Health
    Allure
    I also get ESPN Magazine through my ESPN Insider thing

If I had a few extra hours in my day, I also subscribe to the New Yorker and Esquire, but I don't have enough time to read them.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't get any print newspapers anymore, but I have digital subscriptions to my local metro and the NY Times. We do have print subscriptions for National Geographic, Outdoor Photographer, Shutterbug, Sports Illustrated, Entertainment Weekly, GQ, Bon Apetit, Food & Wine and Car & Driver.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm down to 0. We end up reading the NYT magazine in paper edition, and my in-laws get SI Kids for my kids. My college & grad school still send me there monthlys. That's all that comes in the mail.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The magazine I edit
    Golf Digest - as a benefit of my golf association membership. Otherwise, I wouldn't get it. Too much in-the-weeds instruction. Not enough interesting stories. I'll probably piss all over the Trump cover when it hits my mailbox. I understand, editorially, why Golf Digest produced the issue. But I don't have to like it.
    ESPN - Only because of the Insider. They also are terrible at ending subscriptions. I haven't paid for it in years but I still get it. I appreciate the writing, but you can get it all online before the magazine hits.

That's it.

Draft saved Draft deleted