1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Print journalism or media relations?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rookie23, May 2, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I'd sure like to know as well. Yes, please elaborate. ::)

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Fair point.

For every sleazy SID/PR type, there's at least one slimy counterpart on the reporting side.

So we're probably best off not getting all sanctimonious about PR jobs. Many (if not most) of the PR problems are not the creation of the PR guy. In the end, it's the people above the PR level who set the tone.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Covering girls high school volleyball is a noble calling. :)

4. goodgolly

goodgolly New Member

There was an assistant media relations gig for an MLB team in my region last year, so I inquired, as I had worked with the head relations guy. He told me the job started in the low to mid 20's, that I was probably overqualified (probably based on money reasons) and he had received more than 1,000 applicants for it already. I asked if it were possible for me to work freelance at the same time to earn a few extra bucks, and he said the person hired wouldn't have much time for that, and they frown upon those things anyway.

That ended my dream of making that transition.

5. Just being a smartass.

I withdraw the comment.

Forgive me.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Let's say the average MLB team has three media relations professionals on staff. There are 30 teams. Even allowing for teams that have more and things like the commissioners office, there are about 100+ jobs in the US and Canada.

So maybe the odds are still heavily in favor of the shrinking newsrooms, some of which even still have a union.

You can't help but notice that long-standing PR types like Rick Cerrone (Yankees) and Sharon Pannozzo (Cubs) were abruptly and arbitrarily shitcanned last year.

The decision should be made on the basis of what you want to do. There's no guarantee of security in either field. And if you're interested in baseball PR because it would be fun to hang out at the ballpark, you'll quickly discover you made the wrong choice.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Let's count the number of colleges and schools that use media relations people. Then go to the number of hospitals and government agencies and corporations that have entire teams of media relations people not to mention the public relation's firms that are in existence, etc., etc. ---

My point is simple one field is dying the other will always be a booming business. And 20 years ago when I got started I had the pipe dream of idealism that money and job security wouldn't be my first consideration. That was before kids, car payments,a mortgage, soon to be college tuition, and all the other things life throw at us.

And if a competent public relations guy like Rick Cerrone gets canned, I'd say his odds of finding another job in the field rather quickly are far greater than John Q. fishwrap writer. I wouldn't want to be looking for a job in print journalism right now -- what will it be like in 10 years?

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The original point was about doing MLB media relations. If you're getting into it because you want to hang out at the ballpark, I don't see how typing news releases for a hospital gets you that thrill.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

In the same way that you better love the "writer" part of "sports writer" just as much as you love the "sports" part if you're going to get the most out of this profession ...

Hanging out at the ballpark will lose its thrill. You better love the job part of this PR gig as much as you love the thrill of the ballpark, if you plan to stick around a while.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd recommend at least giving it a look and let the interview take you through what your job might entail on a day-to-day basis. Also look into the salary issue. If you feel in your gut it's something you can live with, go for it. If not, then don't.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's the NCAA's fault, not the writers. If the NCAA added scholarships for teams that performed well in the classroom, that would be news.

But they take scholarships away from teams that don't -- that's the news. Sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted