1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Print journalism or media relations?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rookie23, May 2, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And that's a candidate for the Verizon/Grey Goose/Toshiba SportsJournalists.com Asinine Statement of the Week.

So taking a PR job that has the ability to lead to greater opportunities than covering preps at a 30k is immoral?

Your initials serve you well, BS.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Honestly, to me, it would come down to money. Because if all else is the same, which is going to be the best for me long term? I'm happy with my modest salary now, but if the MLB job pays X amount more, by all means ...

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Haven't you heard? All PR people kick puppies and make babies cry. Plus they're Luke's father.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i would take great pride in obstructing all you fuckers. ;D

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You won't work in media relations long before you sit down to write a press release and you say to yourself, "This really isn't news and no one in their right mind is going to use this." If you're OK with that, do it. If your instincts tell you it's something you really can't do with conviction, then don't.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

This is a joke, right?

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'm going to fathom a guess, and say it was.
    And, if it was, pretty dry, straight and dare I say, funny.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I loved the media relations side because it gave me a chance to get to know some of the good guys in the game instead of being seen as their adversary. I've definitely become more cynical since joining the other side. With things like salary, schedule and workload being equal (and a lot of times they are pretty close) I'd take the media relations side.

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I would consider the position for sure. I think that if you have been working at your newspaper job for five years and you feel that you need a change of scenery and you like MLB, then seriously consider it. The thing is if you go there and end up no liking it, then you always have the option to leave. It is long hours and a different sort of job, but I would consider it.

You should maybe look at the pros and cons of each position and see which one has more pros and go with that.

If the Maple Leafs offered me a position, I would seriously consider it. :)

10. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Don't quit your day job...yet. There's nothing wrong with interviewing for the MLB post — I'd presume they're not just going to hand it to anyone anyway — and seeing if you like what you see then. In the meantime, keep doing what you're doing at the paper. You may get to the park and realize it really is, or isn't, for you.

11. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

My initials are BM. So I'm not sure I understand what that means.
    Disagree at your own peril.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Piotr,

The career shelf life of a typical PR person isn't any better -- if it's better at all -- than that of a sportswriter. And they get axed at the drop of a hat too. I see no difference as far as career stability.

Draft saved Draft deleted