1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Print is still king

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RecentAZgrad, Apr 13, 2009.

1. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

...so says this link: http://www.niemanlab.org/2009/04/print-is-still-king-only-3-percent-of-newspaper-reading-actually-happens-online/

Apologies if this has been posted already, but I didn't see it anywhere yet..

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That really doesn't say much. Could indicate that newspapers aren't making an impact on the Web or that newspapers aren't emphasizing it much. You'd have to compare the combined total views to views of non-paper Web sites, and with TV news ratings.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm not necessarily disputing this, but I am questioning it.

What, exactly, is a "page impression," particularly with regard to a printed newspaper? And, how is that determined and measured?

I may be missing something but, after reading this link, I am not clear on that, either according to Langeveld, or the NAA research stats linked therein. And this goes especially if these numbers are not the same as circulation, which, according to the story, they're not.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm guessing they are multiplying the pages by the number of people who look at each paper, on average.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yeah. I think Rick is right.
    There is some kind of 1.2-1.4 multiplying per household. That's the formula often used.
    But, that doesn't get us to an answer. I'm thinking it's one big false conclusion.

6. I thought Bob Wills was still the king.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I thought it was Jerry Lawler

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

well done, F_B

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Getting a bit convoluted to compare "page impressions" on web vs. print. Given the same level of awkward translation, my TV is good for a couple thousand page views in a given day.

10. Played my Waylon CD on the way to work today.

11. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

That's nice. Wake me up if it ever translates into paying jobs. If not, who gives a fuck?

Draft saved Draft deleted