1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Principles

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bmm, May 28, 2009.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Wearing the wrong colors nearly got me my ass kicked once. Well, not literally, but it was a pretty funny/embarrassing situation. I was an intern in the SID at my school filling in for our baseball SID on a road trip. I happened to be in the same town with another sport, so I stayed over to work the baseball game.

Anyway, I'm down in our dugout before the game waiting to pick up the lineup from the coach. Killing time, I walk over to the wall where all the scouting reports are taped to take a glance. I noticed a couple of players on the field giving me the evil eye, and they immediately go over to an assistant coach, whisper something and point at me. Coach, who knew who I was, comes up to me and points out that my navy slacks and red polo shirt are the exact colors of the opposition. Dudes thought I was from the other team and sneaking a look at their scouting reports to get an advantage and were pretty pissed.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why didn't you get a school polo?

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I'm big on school colors at a high school game, but when it's anything else, I don't mind much. In fact, for a whole season last year, I chose to wear the colors of the team the one I cover was playing just for my own personal jollies.

But even though I make a big deal about the colors at a high school game, I also try to sit away from the home team's fans and usually play down my job or anything about it when asked. I find it helps play down those kinds of homerism questions.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I'm the opposite on shirts and food.. I've had a few ADs really insist I take a shirt. Usually, it's one sitting in a pile, leftover, that is going nowhere. I decline, they insist, I take it home and never wear it. But food....if/when it happens, I always say, "I don't mind paying because I know that's how the boosters raise money." I have never once had anyone insist that I take the food for free and usually they thank me. That is why the prices are high. That's a major fundraiser. Taking that for free, to me, is way worse than taking a shirt no one will ever wear, including me.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Well, like I said I was an intern, thus I didn't have a ton of gear. I think I had exhausted my supply of school polos earlier in the week that particular trip.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Oh, you're going to get their attention, all right, ISC! They're going to start combing through every time card and expense report you file with a fine-tooth abacus.

Time-and-a-half on a rate of two cents is (drum roll) three cents!

Not 3.5.

(Yeah, I can be an ass.)

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Hey man, you take your .5 cents where you can get it these days!

(Yes, I suck at math. No wonder the bean counters are combing through my time card every week!)

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

They provide food? When I was covering the state track meet in Ohio, still in Ohio Stadium, they opened the press box and that was it. If you didn't pack in, you ate at the concession stand. I always stopped at Kroger and brought a nice lunch and snacks.

Draft saved Draft deleted