1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Principal bans reporter from press box, apologizes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RichJohnson, Sep 11, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not you... the fact that HS was right was a watershed moment...

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I would politely disagree with you on this.

It's perfectly easy to cover a football game without being in a press box. (I do it pretty much every time I go to a high school football game).

You may be punishing the school (and the principal through that), but you are penalizing the reader, especially if the other team local. ("Why didn't we cover the game you won 72-0 and set nine state scoring records? The other school's principal is a dick.")

OK, slight exaggeration.

My concern is the principal's anger at the reporting. Considering what has been happening in Jena, Ark., he oughta be all over this incident.

(If you have not read the Jena stuff, check it out on Google News)

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

That's an excellent point!

But . . . back in the day, I sued to switch at halftime so I would not be accused of favoring one team. Seriously.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Three.

Fewer,

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

You had to go to court do that? Or did you just transpose a couple of letters?

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

They can ban you from the box.

They ban most of the rest of the public from the box.

They could ban you from the sideline, too.

They could make you pay and sit in the stands.

And, really, since it's a school event (even though it's a public place), they can toss your butt if they want.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

We have now discovered Billy's favorite typo.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Usually, you can just call a friendly judge and get a court order. That's what I did back in the day.

9. sportpro

sportpro New Member

I am the one that this story is about. Just to clarify a few points. I am the only paper that covers the team and a one-man sports department at a daily newspaper. I DID NOT write the story about the incident at the school. The press box has more than ample room for me. I have never had a problem with this school in the past. As a matter of fact, they have been more than cooperative when it comes to sports. All coaches submit their scores when I am not there and they go out of their way to accomodate us. There has never been a problem in the past, and yes I have been objective in my coverage of sporting events at the school. Covered the game because it was the right thing to do. I am far from LAZY and I am on a tight deadline on Friday night, so therefore I do most of my writing at the game and then go back and do Saturday's paper (one-man staff). So I would reserve comment on the "lazy" issue until you are in someone else's shoes. I don't work for a big metro and have other people lay out my pages, so yes, it was tough for me that night. I think the press box is for what it stands for - the press. The radio station was present and the TV station that aired the story last week was there as well. So what's fair for one is fair for all. Everyone is entitled to an opinion on this issue and rightfully, so. But, I am not lazy.

10. sportpro

sportpro New Member

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Keith: Thanks for the explanation.

While I espouse working the sidelines, I personally have no issues with those who choose to work from the press box.

My thought was that being banned from the press box wouldn't negate your ability to cover the game.

12. sportpro

sportpro New Member

I understand, brother. Just wanted folks to hear it from the horse's mouth! Glad everyone knows who I am now! Just kidding. Peace

Draft saved Draft deleted