1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Principal bans reporter from press box, apologizes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RichJohnson, Sep 11, 2007.

1. I meant that you say it with your actions. Not that you actually write that editorial. You imply it by covering things as you always would.

We're on the same side here - fans and readers will never take the local newspaper's side in something like that. No matter what.

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Don't be so judgmental. For all you know, he could be drinking a Capri Sun, which of course would make him a douchepouch.

I spent my Friday and Saturday covering football games from pressboxes in driving rainstorms. Looking back, I absolutely should have spent my Saturday trudging about in the wind and rain with an umbrella in one hand, my notepad in the other. And Friday, in no way would the lightning have distracted me once from keeping meticulous stats during a three-hour game.

And those stats are important, because if there's one thing every SE loves, it's meandering, stat-driven prep gamers.

Plus, I find doing my Saturday notes, sidebars and analysis pieces so much easier when I'm down low, half the time trying to duck betwixt photogs, cameras, cheerleaders, players, electrical cords and mascots. That really doesn't make it harder for me to determine if the new true freshman linebacker is holding his own.

And running up two levels of stands, plus three flights of stadium stairs after each quarter to get updated stats really is great for my quads.

I know that I'm lazy, and I credit it to the school system, my parents and my unfortunate habit of guzzling Kamchatka like it's sugar water. Hell, when the game is over, and guybehindtheguy is heading off to chop down trees with his bare hands before kicking Chuck Norris' ass, I'm usually driving around looking for someplace to cash my welfare check.

3. Wow Johnny, I'm amazed you were able to even get the score right in the paper, seeing as you couldn't possibly have seen over the 10-foot crown in the middle of the field. ;D

4. Where the hell are you guys covering games? Anbar Province?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Kaylee,

What updated stats are you running after?

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I would have loved to cover games from the sideline, but at 5-0, I can't see over any group, let alone a group of football players.

Or maybe I'm just lazy and I should have gotten some stilts or something.

7. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I was just talking about Saturdays, when they hand out updated stats after every quarter.

8. What, you can't afford a Segway?

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

What the fuck? I've done this before and found is absolutely, positively impossible. I need some sort of flat surface to keep play-by-play and a stat sheet. If it's a night game, which 99.9 percent of them are, I also need to write some during the game, and start on the box score during the game.

Should I carry my legal pad, notebook, stat sheets for each team, extra pens and computer along with to the sidelines?

Hey, if you can pull it off, more power to you. I can't, but it's not because I'm lazy. That's fucked up.

10. When more than half of the schools in the circ area are 2A or below, there are NO pressboxes. Not really a choice of how I cover a game.

As far as access goes, while the principal or AD or whatever can try to "ban" you from a box, etc., if it's a public school, they can't deny you entry. They may make you pay, but they can't turn you away. You can still do your job, even if it's not by your preferred method.

If someone is hindering you from doing your job, the biggest "fuck you" is to do it regardless of the situation. Don't give in and get all pissy.

Just do the job, it's all that matters.

(If it's a private school and they throw you out, you're fucked.)

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Might be the first time in history you were not only concise but on point. This is one of those watershed moments like Kennedy getting shot, the 1980 hockey win over the Soviets and the Lions opening the 2007 season with a win.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? I didn't shoot Kennedy. I was nowhere near the grassy knoll.

Draft saved Draft deleted