1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Principal bans reporter from press box, apologizes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RichJohnson, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Personally, prep writers who sit in the press box during games are lazy. It's the only level where you can get on the field during the actual game, so go stand on the sidelines, take notes, keep stats and get a feel for what's going on there.
    You don't think if you had a chance to do an NFL gamer from the sidelines, walk among the players and all that, that you wouldn't? (And yes, I realize in this age of in-game blogs and all that, you can't leave your computer for a second) There's a reason why there's a mad rush to get to the field when there's 5 minutes left: who doesn't want to get on the field during a game?

That being said, typical small-town KY bullshit on the school's part. Principal is a moron.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That's a little harsh. With some extremely tight deadlines, some reporters don't have an option, except to sit up there. Or if someone is short, it is tough to see over the mass of players when the ball is in the middle of the field.

Personally, I prefer the sidelines (except when it's raining), but I don't think it's lazy to be in the box.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You get a better angle of how the plays unfold from the press box, though.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Maybe he needed a place to set up before heading down to the field to cover the game, then come up at halftime and do stats?

People who make generalizations about others without knowing shit about the situation are stupid AND lazy.

5. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

If you feel comfortable saying every prep reporter who watches from the press box is lazy, then I feel comfortable saying you are an idiot. It's easier to see the whole field from the press box. Why do you think coaches sit up there with headsets? Some reporters work where they work to do a job, not because it's COOL to stand on the sidelines. It's basically required to have a place to sit to blog. Or to keep a detailed stat sheet.
    Think before you go calling somebody lazy.

6. Hey man, to each their own. I spent many a Friday night on the sideline _ even with ridiculous deadlines _ and survived. Most of the guys in the competing papers did the same. I was surprised the first time I saw somebody at a HS game go to the press box.

In my experience, there's little doubt you get a better handle of the game by being on the sidelines.

And that was not a shot at Mr. Taylor, but an observation in general.

My first SE, possibly one of the greatest men who ever lived, told me to get my ass on the sidelines and avoid the press box. It would be my advice to all newbies to do the same, if you can.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

An outrageously general one. How do you know? Maybe the field has a crown, and you can't see the other side from the sideline? Maybe the press box is only 10 rows up? Point is, you said something based on YOUR EXPERIENCE, which I'm guessing is limited, and decided to apply it to everyone everywhere.

Congrats. You're a douchebox.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

We have this sidelines vs. press box debate annually, it seems, and while I prefer the sidelines, there are some times -- 90-degree Saturday afternoon, when I chose not to sweat five gallons -- where I'll go for the press box.

End of threadjack, and back to the main topic. I would've called my SE, told him the story, then presuming he backed my ass up, I would've headed into the office or gone to another game, with a small editor's box on Page 1 the next day saying why we didn't cover Podunk High, and the e-mail address to where complaints can be addressed.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if you are at a paper that would cover both schools equally, what would you do? Stick with one team? Go halfsies?

Do you quote the players who might say something provocative during the game? How about injuries? Can you say Jimmy Joe broke his ankle if that's what it looks like?

What would your readers get out of you being there that would be so much better than the lazy turd in the press box?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What about if the other team is a team you cover? Why should they suffer?

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Usually, I stick to the side that has the chains, unless there's a compelling story on the other sideline on which I wanna check in.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Let their fans be pissed, too, at the principal.

Draft saved Draft deleted