1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Principal bans reporter from press box, apologizes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RichJohnson, Sep 11, 2007.

1. RichJohnson

RichJohnson New Member

From Winchester, Kentucky. Principal doesn't like story on the front page, so he bans the sportswriter. Our education system at work.

http://www.wtvq.com/midatlantic/tvq/news.apx.-content-articles-TVQ-2007-09-10-0007.html

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That is a well-written TV report. ::)

Who the fuck is Taylor? It's George ROGERS Clark, not Roger's. And what is with all the extraneous commas?

So glad I work for Media General, which owns that station. I'm proud today.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Two thoughts:

1. If I wrote a story every time I got kicked out of a high school press box (usually just because there was no room) well, I 'd have written a lot of stories. Most of them would be soggy, because that's when the press boxes really fill up.

2. Don't even smaller papers usually have sports writers just write sports? So you're writing about racism in school by day and covering football at night?

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It doesn't say anywhere he wrote the story. It says the principal didn't like a story in the paper that day.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

If I get kicked out of a press box for something like that, I don't cover the game. Period. I call the AD and the Superintendent on Monday.

Especially if you've had advanced notice. Find something else on the sked and cover that.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

No, he didn't write the story. He just had to put up with asshole principal who didn't like the story. And it's Keith Taylor.

I would have gone to my editor and publisher, talked to them and then called the principal and just told him 'okay, have fun not seeing this game in the paper the next day.' And farmer, if I were the editor, we don't cover the game at ALL, forget sending a stringer to do it.

But as it is, it's pretty stupid to ban him from the press box but not the game, what did that prove? Yet another reason public schools suck, classy administrators.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

If the principal really said this: "I was told well the story in the paper, he didn't like it very well" -- he's got bigger problems than newspaper reporters.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry. My bad.

Well, in this case, I would have covered the game and then had my editor rip the principal a new one later.

Fact of the matter is sitting in the press box is a courtesy. You can cover the game from the stands or sidelines, too.

I have had ADs/principals threaten to bar reporters from gyms (or in one case make them pay admission when the reporter didn't have cash on hand) and that's when we went to Defcon 4 live.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Aw, Keith! I didn't even think about people I knew with the last name Taylor.

And EF, that quote is from Taylor talking about what he was told by the person telling him he was not welcome. If you know Keith, you can hear it. Just a "Well, he said he didn't like that story" thing.

10. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

he did cover the game; wrote a gamer for saturday's paper with quotes, detail, etc.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I know of a writer who was asked not to cover a D-II college any longer, by the AD. She didn't like his views on Title IX and booted him off campus.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Did he thank her?

Draft saved Draft deleted