1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Princeton Review's best college papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt Stephens, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

http://collegemediamatters.com/2012/08/21/princeton-review-best-college-newspapers-2012-list/

Penn State gets No. 1. Daily Tarheel and UDK both high on the list.

Glad to see my alma mater, The Rocky Mountain Collegian, back on the list at No. 12. :)

A little surprised Georgia wasn't top 10.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wisconsin has two student papers?

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Congrats to the Collegian, which has churned out a lot of good journalists over the years.

4. Matt Stephens

Yeah, that really confused me.

5. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

As an alum of one of said papers, allow me to explain. Back in the 60s the Daily Cardinal, then the only paper, went extremely left wing, and as a result the Badger Herald formed as an extremely right-wing alternative. Somewhere in the 80s both shifted toward the center politically. The Herald went daily in 1987, and save for a stretch in the mid-90s when the Cardinal shut down for financial reasons, the school has had dueling student papers ever since.

As of now the campus has two five-day-a-week, editorially-independent papers that total about 25,000 circulation (BH:15,000, DC: 10,000).

It's also ridiculous Michigan comes in at 14th on that list. The Daily is a top-notch college paper.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I still maintain that "The Good 5-Cent Cigar," the student-paper at the alma mater of several top posters here -- the University of RI -- has one of the greatest names ever.

Billy T.
    Former editor-in-chief

7. Matt Stephens

What about The Maneater?

Draft saved Draft deleted