1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prince out at K-State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Nov 5, 2008.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Maybe they wanted to be big-time so they emulated Tennessee and Clemson.

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

oh come on... prince.. k-state... purple.....obvious, perhaps, but not the worst!

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The Raspberry Beret in Manhattan apparently got its way.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The words big-time and K-State should never be used in the same sentence.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Gary Patterson to K-State. Done deal

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

And I'm sure landing Patterson was a part of the reasoning behind canning Prince early.

Yeah, 2.5 years is a stupidly short amount of time to give someone to work as examples right down the road at KU and Missouri attest, but there was no evidence whatsoever the program was improving and plenty of evidence it was getting worse fast. A bunch of assistant coaches qualified to coach at the JUCO level, little success in landing or keeping any with real experience, trouble recruiting across the board, alienated big boosters and fans upset with quickly diminishing returns on the field.

Pulling the trigger early on what appeared to be a death spiral might have been the only way to keep Patterson from getting signed for any of the other good jobs out there.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Just heard it pm local radio here in Des Moines. That was freaking fast as hell. Nice work Pilot on posting this as quickly as you heard it.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why would Patterson go to K-freaking-State when Washington and Tennessee are available?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The BCA will be extremely displeased.

As will TCU.

How far off are we from coaches starting to jump contracts midseason, after 3-4 games?

Will coaches start working on game-to-game contracts?

Angola, Patterson is a K-State alum.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Thanks. I was wondering why he was so quick to jump there.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

When will schools stop whacking coaches during the season and wait until said season ends before pilfering a coach from another school?

I agree that Patterson jumping ship the day after losing to Utah is a slap across the face to TCU.

He could have waited until the end of the year and took his chances on whether KSU was going to wait for him or find someone else.

The Little Apple is a messed up town today. Didn't help that Floyd Flake and the BCA decided to publish their study 24 hours after the election. Talk about irony, or calculated plan to force the NCAA's hand.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Back up, back up, back up.

Despite many reports, the Wichita Eagle, who I trust a lot more than the Wichita TV stations, is saying that no deal has been reached.

Source

Draft saved Draft deleted