1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prince is a douchbag

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 7, 2013.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

For sure. Dez Dickerson's voice was the bomb. I'm surprised he didn't hit it big in his own right.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

My favorite parts of Purple Rain all involve Morris Day and Jerome.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Purple Rain was right in the middle of my college days. First concert where I waiting overnight in a line for tickets (spectacular performance by Prince.) I remember seeing the movie (unfortunately before great movie sound systems) but that opening club scene with Let's Go Crazy was awesome. And that CD is right up there with Thriller.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i dunno, qt. the fellas i hung with always lumped jackson and prince as pussies, but at least one of the two -- prince -- made good music.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Both made great music.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He's irrelevant these days.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

yeah, jackson's music carried such lyrical depth ... of a wounded mole, possibly.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You can debate his music whatever you want; but as someone who grew up hearing ABC and Dancing Machine on AM radio, then to see him on the 1984 Grammys (Billie Jean performance) then 1988 Grammys (10mins.), man he was electric, something that has never been topped on TV (IMHO).

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Surely you're being too harsh ... Shirley.

Who else ever copped a Golden Globe for a song to a killer rat?

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

name anything jackson did that had lyrical depth other than ebony and ivory and man in the mirror. and i highly doubt that somebody so devoid of lyrical talent wrote either one of those.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Ebony & Ivory was Stevie Wonder.

Draft saved Draft deleted