1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prince is a douchbag

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Kirk Douglas interview:

So when Kirk's longtime favorite musician Prince appeared on Late Night and borrowed his prized '61 Crestwood to perform "Bambi," Kirk was thrilled. And so were we when we saw the performance. Prince on an Epiphone? Fantastic!

But then came the mother-of-all guitar tosses--a true iconic rock and roll TV moment--but not the kind you want to be part of. At the end of "Bambi" in a moment of performance bravado, Prince threw down the Crestwood and crack went the headstock, and crack went Kirk's heart (and ours too). Within minutes, word of the incident went out around the world: How dare he? What was Prince thinking?

There have been rumors and misquotes for months about what really happened. So, during our recent visit to the Big Apple to check out Crossroads, we stopped by the Late Night studio at 30 Rock on Kirk's invitation to hear the true story, once and for all.

http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/Features/2013/Kirk-Douglas-The-Epiphone-Interview.aspx

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's cool.
    Thanks for posting that. He seems to have taken a new perspective on the incident. He seemed angry immediately after it happened.

I have several guitars. Nothing like a 61 Crestwood, but if someone busted one of them up I'd be pissed.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Great follow up, Thanks for posting.

I agree with his perspective, ultimately you get a wicked story out of the whole experience, nobody would have cared about the guitar otherwise.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The guitar was fixable, so that's why he can have such perspective.
    If he got it back from the luthier and it didn't play the same or didn't sound the same, I bet he'd still be pissed off.
    It's not so much that it's a rare, cool guitar; the bigger issue is that it's one of his main players.
    My impression is that guitar was a player that Douglas used often. You get much more attached to a guitar that's a player than a guitar that just hangs on a wall as part of your collection.

I have an old Harmony that is a piece of junk, but I love that guitar. I've had it for 30 years. It was the second guitar I ever owned. For long stretches of time it was the only guitar I owned. I played it constantly. Two years ago, I had someone fix the action (I don't know how I used to play it), replace the tuners, and cut a new bridge and nut. Now I can't stop playing it again. It's beat up and junky and has a funky weird tone, but I love that guitar. We've been through a lot together, and I'd be heart-broken if something happened to it.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, don't hand it to Prince.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The last comment at the end of that story is so true: "These are the actions of someone who never gets punched."

Draft saved Draft deleted