1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prime example why even blogs must be closely edited

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Writers Block, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Writers Block

Writers Block New Member

http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/29919580

Not trying to make fun of Dodd because he is a real pro and an all-around great guy but it's stunning to see the number of typos in this very short piece.

West Virginia is negotiations to buyout embattled coach Bill Stewart, The Sporting News reported Thursday night citing a source.

Coach-in-waiting/offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen would be elevated to head coach. Asked to confirm the report, Mountaineers AD Oliver Luck replied via text, "I can't comment."

The coaching staff had been investigated by Luck recently trying to determine the source of what were termed "leaks" disparaging Holgorsen in recent newspapers accounts. The school said there were "blatant inaccuracies" in a report that Holgorsen and been involved in three-to-six alcohol-related incidents in the last few months.

A former Pittsburgh newspaper reporter said this week during a radio interview that Stewart urged him to "dig up dirt" on Holgorsen.

Had Stewart been fired after last season the school would have owed him $2.5 million. Instead, the school hired Holgorsen from Oklahoma State, made him the coach-in-waiting and adjusted Stewart's contract. This would be Stewart's final season has head coach. Holgorsen was to take over in 2012.

Stewart, 59, was the toast of Morgantown 3 1/2 years ago when he beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. That night he was elevated to head coach following Rich Rodriguez' departure for Michigan. Stewart has won 28 games -- nine in each of the last three seasons, plus the Fiesta Bowl.

He is currently part of an NCAA infractions case against West Virginia charged with "failure to monitor".

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Prime example? If you pluck a random post from any newspaper blog you'll find as many. "Ooh! They put the period outside the quote! There are apostrophes completely missing!"

3. Writers Block

Writers Block New Member

Mediaguy,

Are you serious? All you see is the period outside of the quotes? Try reading the damn lede again.

Then check this sentence out.

The school said there were "blatant inaccuracies" in a report that Holgorsen and been involved in three-to-six alcohol-related incidents in the last few months.

There are a couple more instances like this throughout. Once again this shouldn't reflect poorly on Dodd, who is first rate. We all need editors from time to time. But this is important for your journalists to see and maybe more to the point the lack of quality editing is why our business is going down the tubes and many of us are looking for work outside of the business. So relax, I have the utmost respect and appreciation for Dodd and would recommend any young aspiring journalist follow his example. He is one of the best in our business. Period!

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Who needs editors when you have spellcheck?

5. mediaguy

We had one last week where the "L" was missing from "beats clock" in a headline. I think that ranks higher than a few harmlessly misplaced words. That's all I'm saying.

6. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Whou neds editers?

7. Mozilla

Mozilla Guest

A few harmlessly misplaced words?
    And that was OK at your J-school?

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

There are two mistakes in the first six words. I don't expect blogs to meet the editing standards which newspapers themselves no longer meet, but I wouldn't have kept reading past the first sentence IRL.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

If Dodd posted before any of his competitors, all is forgiven.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Damn, sorry to read this. That's quite a head bust, no pun intended. Since it's so recent, I can understand your point. Still, I get the other folks, too.

11. mediaguy

Don't get me wrong, it's not a clean post. I don't like typos when I text. I just see a lot worse. The loss of copy editors is becoming more glaring in our industry.

12. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Once ran a sports brief for an area school seeking a clock operator, only I accidentally left the "l" out of clock. It printed, and ran that way for several issues. A friend finally pointed it out to me. He was the only person to ever say anything about it. The school's officials didn't even contact us.

Draft saved Draft deleted