1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Primary Dealbreaker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 24, 2008.

1. http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/005133.php
    Screw them.
    Neither HRC or Barack could bestir themselves to come to Washington and stand with Chris Dodd against retroactively immunizing telecom giants who helped President Stupid break the law and trash the Constitution. HRC's taken more money from the telecoms than anyone, and I expect very little from her anyway. But Mr. New Politics? Mr. New Era? It starts by demolishing the theory of executive power that's enabled the old one, and you were AWOL on a big vote. Edwards at least said they should go back and vote.
    You and me, John, I guess, now that Denny the K is out.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah, it's easy for Edwards to take the high road considering he no longer holds public office.

3. Just as it was easy for Barack to speak out against the war before he was in the Senate.
    You take what you can get.
    And I wish Denny had stayed in until my state's primary because I was moving toward voting for him and his hot wif...er...stern principles. This would have cinched it.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Like I said before ... Mario Cuomo is not walking through that door.

5. ...and if he did, it would be 1988 and Saved By The Bell would still be on the air.

This is what the fight was about. From Jay Rockefeller (D-AT&T):
    "Rockefeller defended the actions of the telecom companies, arguing that the companies received explicit orders from the National Security Agency to cooperate with the super-secret surveillance effort. The West Virginia Democrat said the telecom companies were being "pushed by the government, compelled by the government, required by the government to do this. And I think in the end, we'll prevail."

Somebody please tell the senator that the president of the United States does not have the inherent power to order citizens and corporations to BREAK THE FUCKING LAW!
    This is what neither HRC nor Barack could be bothered to take a stand on in DC today.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hey, I've got more than enough anger to go around, starting with the Democrats who are voting the wrong way.

7. At least they were there to vote. They're on the record. People in Missouri, say, have a vote they can question, or vote against, McCaskill on.
    HRC and Barack were just chickenshit. There's no other goddamn reason. Where do they stand on tyranny?

8. Ah, Barack. You're reading the site, obviously.

Asked for comment, the campaign of Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.) provided a statement from the senator: “I strongly oppose retroactive immunity in the FISA bill. No one should get a free pass to violate the basic civil liberties of the American people — not the president of the United States, and not the telecommunications companies that fell in line with his warrantless surveillance program [… T]hat is why I am proud to stand with Sen. Dodd and a grassroots movement of Americans who are standing up for our civil liberties and the rule of law.”

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Saved by Bell -- Truly an American Classic television show. My favorite episode is the one where Zach tries to devise a scheme to get over on someone or get out of doing something and then it blows up in his face and he has to scramble to either get out of the trouble or save a friendship and in doing so he learns a valuable lesson.

Oh wait a minute, that is every episode.......

Seriously though -- this is how far ESPN has fallen in my view. When I wake up in the morning Saved By the Bell is on TBS so I watch two episodes of that show instead of sportscenter reruns.

I'm always amazed that the same group of six kids in a school that big are the kings of the debate team, the drama club, the spanish club, the wrestling team, the volleyball team, the quiz team, the yearbook team and every other team or club that exists.

10. I'm amazed that Blossom didn't go to high school there.

11. Primary deal unbroken, for now.

http://firedoglake.com/2008/01/27/breaking-hillary-clinton-to-vote-no-on-cloture-tomorrow/

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I would think saying "Fuck you" to the DNC vis a vis Michigan and Florida would be enough for you. It was for me, even if I wasn't already in Obama's camp.

Also, Obama will be voting No, as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted