1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prima donnas in the newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by What Deadline, Jan 4, 2009.

1. What Deadline

What Deadline New Member

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've always believed that there's a certain amount of "favored nation status" that's appropriate to talented people who elevate your section, but some of the things you describe -- particularly the lack of communication with other members of the staff -- is not acceptable.

I've only worked at one place where it didn't matter if there were duplicate quotes or coverage angles in the lead columnist's columns -- full disclosure: I only worked directly with him at a couple of events -- and that's because he was so different that there was no way it was going to compromise somebody else's work that day.

And since I doubt your guy is at the same level as Jim Murray, then communicating with others is part of the deal.

But if your management won't do anything about it, you have to A) try to communicate with this person the best you can and/or B) just live with it as reality.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I think it is extraordinarily possible that What Deadline and I have worked with the same person. Sigh.

RB

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always found the best writers are some of the most decent people to work with. Their humanity comes through in their writing. The second-rate guy who will never get to the A list has to hang his hat on something so they milk their status and treat people like crap. Anyone who has climbed the ladder knows what is acceptable behavior and what isn't.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Listen, assholes, you'll get my copy when it's damn well good and ready.

6. lono

lono Active Member

Or not ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's a heck of a good point, too.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've never been too impressed with Lupica. Of course, I'm a West Coast guy. I like columnists that tell me something I don't know or is a little more thoughtful than what you'd hear on a sports talk show.
    Anyone want to recommend something of his that is really good?

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

His first name.

10. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Is there any correlation between your avatar and your query?

11. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

We have a preps guy who thinks his copy is aboved editing after two years in the business, but that's about it.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, does sound like him, doesn't it...

Draft saved Draft deleted